Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Space Under the Start Button Stripe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Reverb

Reverb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

i have Dell Dimension 3000 and i recently putted in new graphic card NVIDIA 8400 GS and new ram, now i have 2 problems that i don't know what to do about it.

1) there is a huge amount of space under the stripe and i don't have a slightest clue how to solve that problem

2) everytime i put the computer in standby mode, it does go but when it try to wake it up it doesnt happen, all the power is disconnected from the cpu to the keyboard, mouse, and the monitor. before the installation i use to able to wake up the computer by pressing the main power button but now all it does is nothing my monitor is blank and i have to restart everything.

anyone have a idea what it could be please help.

Thanks

Edited by Reverb, 06 December 2009 - 12:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PlyPencil

PlyPencil

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

Can you try and upload a screen print so I can have a look. I will be able to determin if its hardware or software related bases on the image. If the image has a black strip on it then its software, which I do not have a clue how to fix. if it does not then its the hardware trying to display a screen resolution which is incompatiable with your monitor.

Have you got a widescreen monitor? if not try changing the screen resolution to either 800x600 or 1024x768. If this fixes your problem great, find a resolution that suits you. If not then check your screen is not widescreen.

About the standby problem. Have you tried pressing your power button ONCE? On some computers it automatically cuts power to all connected devices. My PC does this.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

Corrupt video drivers do not play well with standby/hibernate
Which could also be the source of your other problem
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Reverb

Reverb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

i couldn't upload it through the forum so im putting up a photobucket link cause i couldnt resize it since it won't let me even do that cause everything is like below the screen. in mine i can atleast see the start button in my dads account its all the way at the bottom so i have no clue whats going on

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w315/Re...Printscreen.jpg

i use to be able to do that now it turns the cpu on but i still can't get any power to the rest of the things, cause i use to be able to do that before i installed the graphic card and ram

and if the video driver is corrupted what should i do.

Edited by Reverb, 06 December 2009 - 02:13 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

putted in new graphic card NVIDIA 8400 GS and new ram,

DDR2 memory correct?
Is this with the stock power supply?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Reverb

Reverb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

Speed: PC-3200 (400mhz)

Pins: 184-PIN

Type: DDR

#7 Reverb

Reverb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:00 PM

ok so i got the space thing solved out, but i still have no clue on the standby, turns out space thing i had another window opened from settings, like extand desktop into something like that im not sure what it says but thats what the problem was

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users