Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ninjahampster

ninjahampster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

Why are Macs so expensive? I mean take this Mac mini for example, $999, and for what??

Who here owns a Mac and are they really that much better than a PC honestly?
I have never owned one but was considering it, I just don't want to spend $1k+ for something that isn't any better :blink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

They're just overpriced. You can get some MAC's that are better specwise than a PC but expect to pay about twice the price. Really they have limited applications to buy one, unless you do some serious video editing and the likes. But even then there's stuff on a PC than you can get to do that.

MAC vs PC debates always end up in flame wars. But in essence, a PC will always be cheaper and usually better. Apple(who make the Mac) excel at marketing to people who want to have the most expensive things even though it really isn't that good. I do admit, Mac's are pretty on the eye, but it doesn't justify paying twice the amount you would for a PC.

And never listen to them MAC adds on youtube either. Watch them cause they're funny but don't take them seriously. If you're considering buying a computer, post it here on BC what you need it for and how much you'll be spending max. There's plenty of people here, me included who'll take a look and put together a build for you.
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#3 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

In my opinion Macs are nothing more than a status symbol. A PC at the same price as a Mac would fly in circles around it.
Much of the reputation of Apple comes from their successful marketing and their use of fallacies in their ads. The reason why there are not many viruses for Mac has nothing to do with being more secure, but simply the fact that hackers are not going to waste their time writing viruses for something with only 9% market share.

Edited by RainbowSix, 06 December 2009 - 03:13 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#4 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

Personally as stated before Macs are like a status symbol, and i would also classify them as a bandwagon product. Nothing about them makes them more secure besides the fact that less people use them. Whether or not they are easier to use i do not know, but many times the only reason someone has a hard time using a PC is because they just don't know how. Also if you ever consider using a PC to play games, many games won't run out of the box on a Mac you normally would have to get some kind of emulator. All in all a mac isn't worth it, you can get a PC at the same price that would be so much better.
Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users