Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gala Hijack google Quick Fix for All windows OS

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 helpfulpenguin

helpfulpenguin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hi,
I had searched many sites trying to find a fix for a friends problem with their browser search toolbars and other search engines within browsers being redirected or stalled to show no connection.
This problem fix is only specific to one that brings up gala as a search page when using any search engine on any browser for all windows OS.
I did a hijackthis scan and the information that gave me to make a new hosts file and rename it with quotes around it like this 'hosts.' was total bull.
You have to rename the original hosts file that is the problem in the first place before you can make a new one.
Here is the easy fix from microsoft's own website on how to rename and make a new hosts file ,which was corrupted or rewritten to block you from using any real search engine in your browser.

Microsoft Rename Hosts File Link

Just follow that link to Microsoft's tech page and voila.. within under 1 minute your gala problem is gone.Not even a need to reboot.

If you want to scan your computer further with a free antivirus,try avast and after full installation it asks if you want to do a boot time scan or scan on reboot,choose yes and reboot your computer.
You can easily find avast on download.com site .If there are any other free antivirus programs that scan before windows comes up that would be great to add here also.

Btw... combofix.exe did not work on this easy problem and I myself would like to know what it actually does for anything other than doing a scan from a dos window and deleting random files it thinks are junk,viruses,problem files or whatever you want to call them.

EDIT: Moved to a more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 06 December 2009 - 01:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users