Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager Problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 parrotplay

parrotplay

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

:thumbsup: Hi. I have Windows XP. I don't know what happened but my Task Manager is different and I am not sure that this is a problem or not. Under "Processes" there is no longer anything next to the process, like System, Network, my name, etc. Under User name, nothing, used to be my name. In "View" under columns, the "Image Name" is greyed out. Back to the tabs, under Users..there is now nothing but used to have me listed there.

If I have to end a process now, am having a bit of a problem at times, determining what is ok and not, if I am unsure, alot I know not to touch. This happened after I downloaded a new Anti-Virus program, AVAST, and uninstalled the Norton Anti-virus I had.

Any clue as to what happened? Why? And mostly, how to fix this? I have done restores, but now my System Restore will not restore, has restore points but says my system cannot be restored and to try another date. I cannot restore from the uninstall of Norton and after. And...my system used to start up very fast, now it takes about 3 minutes for the desktop icons to start popping up.

Do I have to do a Repair/Reinstall to fix this? I wish I knew what happened as I don't want to have it happen again...my system was running smooth before all this happened, no complaints.

Thank you for any and all help...very much appreciated!! :flowers:
parrotplay/Leeann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:49 PM

I'm just shooting in the dark here, but is it possible that you're logged in a as a guest? When you start your computer, do you use the login and/or Welcome Screen or does it take you directly into Windows?

You can adjust these properties in Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change the Way Users Log On or Off.

I personally have mine set to log in to a single user with the guest account turned off, and it goes directly into Windows.

#3 parrotplay

parrotplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:54 AM

Hi Herk...thank you for your response. I am the only one using this computer, am set up as computer administrator, it goes directly to my desktop when I turn it on. I have no clue why I am no longer listed as the user, in the task manager...or why there no longer is the processes, not sure what it is called, User Name, like the word, System, Network or my name next to each process...all is missing except on one of the System processes. Do you know if possible a setting in Services could have something to do with any of this? Thank you for your help. Lee/parrotplay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users