Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotbar

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RandyBmore

RandyBmore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:04 AM

Hi, I'm new here and could sure use some help. My son installed a Hotbar toolbar required to play some game and now his computer (xp home) keeps freezing up. I ran malwarebytes and it shows 67 Hotbar critical objects but when I try to quarantine/correct the problem the computer freezes (3 times). I have tried to uninstall Hotbar on the add/remove programs but the computer froze at the 3/4 uninstall point and so when I restarted the computer and tried again to uninstall Hotbar it just says no items are selected. Needless to say after restarting the computer a dozen times or more I'm ready to try add/remove with hammer.
Any ideas on removing Hotbar? I read through the uninstall guide but this computer won't let me make more then a couple attempts at anything before it freezes. It's even freezing at times on startup. As I type this on my PC I am trying to install Unlocker on his but not much is happening. OK something happened. It froze again.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Randy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

Take the easy route if it works, use system restore. Start, programs, accesories, system tools, system restore.
Use a date before the toolbar was installed. It MAY just fix u right up.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

Hotbar has an uninstall tool:
http://client.hotbar.com/downloads/Uninsta...Uninstaller.exe

If that doesn't work

This involves a registry edit, so I must warn you to Back Up Your Registry First

To backup the registry proceed as follows:

1/ Click Start

2/ From the menu click Run

3/ In the Run dialog box type: regedit

4/ The Windows registry Editor will now open

5/ Click the File option on the main toolbar and, from the drop down menu, select Export

6/ In the Export Registry File dialog box select All

7/ Now name the file

8/ Finally click the Save button

9/ To return the registry back to its original state should something go wrong simply click on the File option on the main registry editor toolbar and then select Import
=========================================

To remove the toolbar

You can remove HotBar through Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, however it leaves behind some tracks that will have to be removed manually. After removing the program through the Add/Remove section, you'll want to run Regedit and remove the following keys in the registry.

HKey_Current_User\Software\Hotbar
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Hotbar
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\B195B3B3-8A05-11D3-97A4-0004ACA6948E
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform\Hotbar 3.0

You can also delete the 'HotBar 3.0' string from

HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent
pchell.com

Edited by garmanma, 08 December 2009 - 08:52 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users