Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Log on/log off loop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eirever

Eirever

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

Ok, I've searched and scoured the net for answers. I've searched this forum as well and found the answers, sadly, none of them work. When I try to copy or expand it says that D:\i386 on the Windows XP CD cannot be found. And I've tried 2 Windows XP CDs and still the same, I've tried using BartPE to change the userinit.exe value back to C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe but, somehow, it reverts back to the path defined by the virus/malware I picked up. I've also tried Repair Installing but to no avail either. Are there any other solutions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

Nuke...reload.

I've yet to understand why something that was so basic with Win 9x users...has come to be held in such high disregard by XP users.

Perhaps it's because Win 9x users backed up their systems more often, had Windows CDs, and knew that they could reinstall Windows. And...malware may have been less of a problem then.

In any case, my suggestion would be a clean install, just for the sake of moving on with life.

Louis

#3 Guest_computersplus_*

Guest_computersplus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:00 PM

you need to delete and replace winlogon.exe and userinit.exe both

an easy way would be to slave the drive to a working machine you can download both files from the net then delete the files from the infected drive and replace with good ones

or just bite the bulllet and format and reinstall

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:17 AM

This is probably what you have been looking for ...

Fix Logon/Logoff Loop ..... thinkinginpixels
http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...onlog-off-loop/
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users