Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safely Remove Icon

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:57 PM

When i plug in a Flash Drive (USB stick), an External Hdd, or an SD Card on my system, do i need to still used the Safely remove icon to eject?

I have unplugged and taken them out by accident before with Windows Xp (using Windows 7 Home Pre. now). My data has never seem to be lost.

So..is there any reasoning as to why this icons appears?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:26 PM

Removing a flash drive without going through the "Safely Remove" dialog is more dangerous in theory than in practice. The idea is to make sure that Windows finishes up writing whatever data it still needs to write to the drive (the drive's write cache) before you remove it, however most flash drives have write caching disabled by default, so Windows is done with it pretty much as soon as you are. A rule of thumb: wait for the little light on the flash drive to stop blinking before removing it and you should be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users