Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wildtangent

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flashh4

flashh4

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:18 AM

i need to know which should one do when fixing logs... would you suggest to log poster to remove this 016 below or leave it alone !!

O16 - DPF: {3A7FE611-1994-4EF1-A09F-99456752289D} - http://install.wildtangent.com/ActiveLaunc...iveLauncher.cab

Wild Tangent a lot of people who play games will keep as it adds games to their computer. They sacrifice safety for their games

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:08 AM

When I come across those I remove them. They can always be loaded again if needed.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 curly1880

curly1880

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:57 PM

id say remove it because it can be considered spyware plus if u deff. need it then download it again but if your not using it theres no point of puttin your computer at risk

#4 flashh4

flashh4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

thanks guys thats what i thought !!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:47 PM

It is spyware in the sense that it reports games you play to them but it is not dangerous or malicious.

AOL games as well as many other sources download the WildTangent program on your computer.

#6 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:38 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 bought in December. I'm no computer wiz, but I did some exploring and found this WildTangent in the following directory and wondered what it was:

c:\Program Files\Dell\MediaExperience\Plugins\WildTangent

I had a Dell Media Experience icon preinstalled, but deleted it ages ago since I don't use it. I left the software, because I didn't know if it is invoked behind the scene when I play Windows pre-installed games (there is a games folder in this directory) or if it is invoked with some other Windows features. Don't like to delete anything I'm not sure about!! My motto: If in doubt, don't do anything!!

I do not have the 016 entry in my HJT log, however, like you do.

Don't know if this information is of any use to you or not. But if you DO use Dell Media Experience, you might want to leave this item alone.

Edited by buttoni, 15 August 2005 - 10:40 AM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users