Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help with router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flickdog93

flickdog93

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

hi, i have the zhone router from Consolidated Communications(it sucks) and a Linksys WRT54G v5.
i was trying to configure the lynksis router with it plugged into the zhone router. i keep coming up
with the configuration for the zhone router or if i try 192.168.1.3 i get the VoIP Linksys phone adapter but no Linksys router.

i want to configure the linksys router because it has better wireless than the zhone and certain ports on it are closed so nothing can connect to it.

how can i get to the settings for the lnksis router?

i can give any extra info such as gateways, ip addresses, dns server addresses if they are needed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

You do not have to use Linksys software, there are a couple of others out there that work as good if not better. I don't like sending people elsewhere but you can find what you need up on Linksysinfo, you can find vendor links and more.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Guest_computersplus_*

Guest_computersplus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:19 PM

you will have to log into the the DSL modem/router and put it into bridged mode first so that it's just a dumb modem and not a router then connect the linksys router and set it to do the routing the ip address for the linksys should be 192.168.1.1 when the login screen appears under the pass word field put admin leave user name blank this should grant you access to make the changes you prefer to the linkys router

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:31 PM

When you set this up did you go into the zhone and put in a user name and password to connect to your DSL connection?

Take the Linksys out of the loop for now.

You will need to set up the zhone first, so plug it back into your PC if its not - open a browser type 192.168.1.1 hit Enter -> in the user name and password boxes enter admin in both hit Enter.

This should take you inside the zhone router. I only see one place where you are able to do what you need to do and that is under Quick Setup with Auto-Connect Disabled. I do not see another screen shot of where you can Disable DHCP. Which is what you have to do. So on the left side click them one at a time and look for Enable and Disable DHCP. You have to disable DHCP so you don't have 2 devices trying to do DHCP. If you can't go through the steps in Quick Setup with Auto-Connect Disabled and disable DHCP in there.

The other thing you have to do is shut off the wireless in the zhone. On the left side click the + beside Wireless and click Basic -> on the screen just take the check mark out of Enable wireless and click Save.

Once you've done those 2 things, unplug the Ethernet cord from the back of the zhone that goes to your PC and connect it to one of the 4 grouped ports on the Linksys. Open a new browser window type 192.168.1.1 and hit Enter -> when the UN and PW box pops up type admin in the PW box and leave the UN blank -> this will take you into the linksys.

If you had to enter a UN and PW in the setup of the zhone you need to pick PPPoE or PPPoA depending on which you used in the zhone. If you didn't have to enter a UN/PW then let it default to Dynamic. Leave this browser open. Plug another Ethernet cable(the one that came with the router) into the back of the zhone and into the WAN port, the one off sorta by itself, of the linksys. Then unplug the power to the linksys for a sec or 3 then plug it back in. Open a browser and see if your home page comes up. If it does you are set if it doesn't unplug the Ethernet cable from the zhone(the one that runs to the Linksys), unplug the Ethernet cable from the router(the one that plugs into your PC) and plug that back into the zhone and you should be able to surf to let us know what happened.

Setting up the wireless on the linksys - just search the net there are tons of guides.

You can also just turn off the wireless in the zhone, turn off DHCP in the Linksys and use the Linksys as a 4 port switch and wireless access point. The choice is yours.

Good luck

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users