Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corsair HX850W Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

This really may shine as a noob question, but here it is. Searching for a quality PSU for a new build and I found this unit to have really great reviews. Very good build quality and a real stable 12v rail. But the fan is a top mount on unit, and my case has a top mount PSU position. arg! Is the PSUs form, flippable in a safe and acceptable way?

Corsairs site link
New Eggs link page

I just noticed that the branding script is upside down on the back of this unit? Is that an indicator that they knew I'd ask? lol.
The funny part is, that I still don't know:).

Edited by PCwarrior, 05 December 2009 - 07:29 PM.

(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS,MSI R9 390 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded),  Wow shes old.. :blush:     :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:57 AM

You can mount it in any way you like, just don't block the fan.

One thing I noticed about that power supply is that there is only one +12v leg. Most of your better power supplies would have two +12v legs. I see it has lots of amps but it it is still only one leg.

Good luck.

DR

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

There are many reviews on single or more rails. I chose to go with a Corsair HK-1000 because it is two 500w put together which is two 500w 12v rails.

#4 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. Thats great news. My selection of this unit was based on some reviews that I found, regarding its comparison to other 850w power supplies. The unit is produced with very high quality parts and even as a single rail unit, has some of the lowest ripple/fluctuation in its DC output. I was looking for a modular design that was powerful and had a efficiency zone peak, around my upper needs. I hope to run one X2 gpu vid card in the future and for now wont have a need for the 1k+ units ( no raid, 1vga for now, and such). here are a couple reviews of the PSU, for anyone that might be interested. Thanks again.

Hardware Secrets review conclusion page
OverClock 3D.nets review
Driverheaven's conclusion page.

The PSU may not be the quietest unit, maybe by far after say 60% load. But thats the sweet spot anyways. After say 60% I'll have my surround sound up so high it wont be a noise issue.lol. Ill let the reviews speak to the rest of its greatnesses. But a seven year warranty! WOW how solid is that. I hope I don't need to use the warranty for 5-6. :thumbsup:

(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS,MSI R9 390 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded),  Wow shes old.. :blush:     :)

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:01 PM

Well I spent many many hours looking over P/S and the two I could fine where Corsair and P/C Power and cooling. My thoughts are get a P.S. that has a good rep. and lots of it. Nothing in your computer will work correctly unless it has a smooth power supply I.E. video card. You might not need that much power now but what about later. IMHO never get a power supply that you have to work 80% or more. If you need 500w get 850w. It's only a few more dollars. When you are thinking about a Video card suck up 130 watts or more and costing a bunch of bucks; don't cheat it because of a power supply.If you want to save money power supplies is not the place to do it. The odds are you will be adding things to your system.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

The PSU will mount "fan down" in any chassis. Pics are shown upside down so you can see the fan configuration, trust me, it will face down when mounted.

The HX850 is one of the best PSUs on the market. Seasonic is another brand you can trust.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

Thanks to all. The unit is firmly planted in my build. I even measured the available space and she'll fit .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users