Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just in case I need to do a full recovery?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rossS

rossS

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

Hey guys, currently I'm waiting on the hijack this forums to help me out, but just in case they can't do anything for this virus I have and I need to recover my computer I have a few questions.
1) I currently can't find the restore disk, and I'm not sure if my computer has it built in, how do I check?
2) XP restore guide walking you through step by step anywhere??
3) I upgraded the computer with a new graphics card, although I may have lost the disk with the driver for the card, can I find the right stuff online?
4) I have iTunes with a couple thousand songs, if I back up the songs to a disc do I run a risk of the virus transfering to one of those discs? My sisters iPod is also synced to this computer, what are the chances a virus could have been stored in that?

Thanks for any answers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

You need the disc's no way around it, the video driver should be available on the vendors site. As far as your files yes there is a chance that there may be files that are infected, it is always chancy retrieving anything from an infected computer. What I have heard of being done was to copy to a clean hard drive which is put aside until the machine is up and running with good security programs loaded, then hooking the drive up and running the scans in the security programs. This is not fool proof and may lead to another reload.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 05 December 2009 - 07:47 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users