Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got some weird virus and now computer is "off", no safe mode and searches are linking to wrong pages .

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DavSabo

DavSabo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

I got a virus the other day after going to facebook. I started getting tons of request from Norton from programs asking to connect to the internet. I then suddenly got a "security station"(or some type nonsense) alert. I went onto google and started looking everything up and low and behold I had a virus.
I quickly looked up that Malaware bytes was a good system to get rid of this bug and used it. (norton wasn't detecting anything except for those initial firewall requests). I thought I was clean but then I began to notice that my google toolbar kept getting hijacked. I would put in a request and press enter. It would either send me to a page I did not request or just open up another google search. If I try Yahoo it does the same thing. I use IE and Firefox on my machine and it is doing it with both.
I then went into safe mode and ran spybot. It didn't find anything. I then ran Norton and after a warning that it may not be a thorough search it ran-it found nothing. However now I can't even get into Safe Mode to run Malaware bytes in safe mode. I get a blue screen after I press safe mode and it give me a listing of problems. I use Windows XP and I don't have a clue what is going on at this point. Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 05 December 2009 - 04:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavSabo

DavSabo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:41 PM

Anyone have any suggestions that can help me out?

#3 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

What I normally do is use Rkill to stop the rootkit processes that start when the computer comes on. Then I run the Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware. Here are some DL links for the Rkill....

LINK 1
LINK 2
LINK 3
LINK 4

Save it to your desktop and then double click to launch it (With Vista you need to right click and select run as administrator). You should see a little black window open and then close. If you see that box then it worked. If you don't see the black box then delete the file and use another download link and repeat the steps.

Once it runs you should be able to run Malwarebytes. In addition to Malwarebytes I usually run SUPERAntiSpyware as well.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#4 DavSabo

DavSabo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:45 AM

Hey azfreetech,
Thanks for responding. I actually tried Rkill and then ran malwarebytes and superantispyware and I still seem to be having problems, although they have lessened.
I still can't seem to enter Safe Mode. I get a run of data scroll on my screen and then I get a blue screen stating that Windows was stopped so that it wouldn't damage my computer (or some message like that).
I also get these annoying "new tabs" opening up in firefox. I'll go and open my brower or randomly while I'm browsing there will be a new tab that opens on its own and I tend to get "Tribune News" and then something about Google offering jobs to for staying at home.
I"m at a loss at this point, because when I run every anti spyware program I have it doesn't find anything and yet I still have these problems. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks for your time

Edited by DavSabo, 08 December 2009 - 10:43 AM.

#5 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:21 PM

Sounds like you are probably still infected. Update and then run MBAM and SAS and post the logs here. Have you run your antivirus yet? If not then I would run that as well.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users