Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus System Pro; no Windows Start, no Task Manager, no restore point.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 sunshinydays

sunshinydays

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

Hello!

Microsoft Windows XP

Problem: ANTIVIRUS SYSTEM PRO

Viewed: http://bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/...irus-system-pro

At this point, after logging onto Windows, I get 2 boxes on my screensaver page (in safe mode too):

1st box: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon86.exe

2nd box: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon86.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization.
Choose 'Close' to terminate this application.

Question: How can I get rid of Antivirus System Pro if I can only turn the computer off and on. I can access the task manager box but only to turn the computer off. The actual task manager button is not accessible. I have no Windows start button to do any of the removal tasks. I tried to put a CD and a ScanDisk in, but just my screen saver is there, with no windows. Because I can't download anything, if I purchase an Antivirus Program, will it automatically load? Thank you for your assistance.

Sunshinydays

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

Have you tried logging on in safemode? To do this, gently tap the F8 key while the computer reboots. From the list you want to select safemode with networking.

If you are able to get in to safemode you will then want to install Malwarebytes, update it and run the scan. Remove everything it finds and then install, update and run SUPERAntispyware; remove everythinhg it finds as well. I would also update your antivirus software and then run a complete scan with it as well.

Next you will want to try going back in through the standard Windows mode; just reboot the computer. Run the scans again.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#3 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:17 PM

Hi AZfreetech,

Thanks for responding to my problem.

As I stated in my post, I am unble to access anything on my computer even in any of the safemodes. The only thing that comes up are the 2 boxes I explained on my above post. Since I can't download or open anything, if I purchase malwarebytes will it override any of the blocks that won't let me see anything? Will it download?

Thank you,
Sunshinydays

#4 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:57 AM

Unfortunately purchasing MBAM or an AV program won't override anything. You have a couple of options here. The first is the least invasive.

1. Use a known working computer to download Hirens Boot CD 10.1 . Burn the ISO file to a CD so that it is bootable. Take the CD and boot the infected computer from it. Run the Antivirus scans (they include malware and spyware scanners) Remove what the scans find and try booting normally again.

OR

2. Pull the hard drive from the infected computer and slave it to a known working computer. Run scans with MBAM and SAS, removing what they find. Next, run a scan with the antivurus software on the computer you are using; remove what it finds. Re-install the hard drive in the original computer and see if you can boot it up. If you can, run the MBAM, SAS and AV scans again. Remove what they find.

Edited by azfreetech, 11 December 2009 - 04:01 AM.

DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#5 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

Hi AZfreetech,

I downloaded the Hiren's Boot CD 10.1. After inserting it and looking through it, the antivirus scans were not there. It went from Partition Tools through File Managers, and then from MBR to DOS. I looked through everything and didn't see any malware or spyware scanners. Do they have a particular name that I just overlooked?

Thanks,
Sunshinydays

#6 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hi AZfreetech,

From the Hiren's CD, I loaded the Mini Windows XP, went to the HBCD Menu, then browsed and found Spybot Search & Destroy...it found 53 problems and fixed it...I then ran Kasperskys and it stated, "No Threats". When I tried to turn on my computer again, I am back to square one, unable to open any Windows because of these 2 boxes (they come up in every screen):

C:Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll

Thanks,
Sunshinydays

#7 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hi AZfreetech,

My computer has been broken since November, so now with 2 holidays down...back to figuring this virus out. I hope you had a great holiday.

From the Hiren's CD, I loaded the Mini Windows XP, went to the HBCD Menu, then browsed and found Spybot Search & Destroy...it found 53 problems and fixed it...I then ran Kasperskys and it stated, "No Threats". When I tried to turn on my computer again, I am back to square one, unable to open any Windows because of these 2 boxes (they come up in every screen):

C:Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll

Thanks,
Sunshinydays

#8 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hi!

From the Hiren's Boot CD 10.1, I searched for files and found:

winlogon86.exe in Folder C:Windows\system32

I deleted the file, and now when I try to get onto the computer, the 2 boxes are gone, but I get automatically logged off (windows log off box).

Thanks,
Sunshinydays

#9 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:34 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...rsky+rescuedisk

Under Garmanma's post (#2) in the above topic. Please follow the instructions for making a Dr. Web LiveCD and a Kaspersky Rescue Disk. I suggest to run Kaspersky Rescue Disk first, making sure that you update it once the program is up and going, and then try to boot. If that doesn't work, try Dr. Web LiveCD. Then try to boot.

If neither of those work, let me know.
Computer Pro

#10 maalim

maalim

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:40 PM

Hello!

Microsoft Windows XP

Problem: ANTIVIRUS SYSTEM PRO

Viewed: http://bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/...irus-system-pro

At this point, after logging onto Windows, I get 2 boxes on my screensaver page (in safe mode too):

1st box: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon86.exe

2nd box: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization.
Choose 'Close' to terminate this application.

Question: How can I get rid of Antivirus System Pro if I can only turn the computer off and on. I can access the task manager box but only to turn the computer off. The actual task manager button is not accessible. I have no Windows start button to do any of the removal tasks. I tried to put a CD and a ScanDisk in, but just my screen saver is there, with no windows. Because I can't download anything, if I purchase an Antivirus Program, will it automatically load? Thank you for your assistance.

Sunshinydays

To Remove ANTIVIRUS SYSTEM PRO in you Computer Restart you Computer Safe Mode with Networking How To Restart? To get into the Windows Safe Mode with Networking computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to Safe Mode with Networking and press your Enter key. Then Download Update and Scan Use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Press This Link http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-...cdlPid=10997763

Download and Scan by Use Super Anti-spyware Press here http://www.superantispyware.com/

Download and Scan by Use Norman Malware Cleaner Press here http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5...0e991265b3250e7

After Finish Remove Virus Restart You Computer To Be Normal

#11 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:40 PM

Computer Pro,

Thank you and I will get right on making those rescue disks. I will let you know what happens.

Sunshinydays

#12 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

Ok, I will be waiting for the results. And the scans with the rescue disks may take awhile.
Computer Pro

#13 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

Hi Computer Pro,

I don't know if the scans will take as long as it is taking me to download the rescue disks on my daughter's older desktop...I am on my third try, going to use Mozilla rather than IE now...if you are on the east coast...nitey nite...I am on the west coast so I have a few more hours!

Sunshinydays

#14 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:01 AM

I am on the East Coast, but having a late night just for the heck of it. :thumbsup:.

I know how long those boot disks can take to download.
Computer Pro

#15 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

Hi Computer Pro,

After running the Kaspersky rescue disk, it found one alarm:

Trojan-GameThief.Win32.Nilage.up

I deleted it and my problem now is the same as yesterday, after deleting:

winlogon86.exe

After my Windows log on screen comes up, it goes straight to a Windows box, "Please wait, logging off".
Sometimes it logs off immediately, other times it logs off slow.

Thank you,
Sunshinydays

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users