Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page File Usage High

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty100588

Qwerty100588

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:23 PM

First of all, I have a Sony Vaio computer around 7 years old with Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz 512MB RAM running Windows XP Service Pack 2.

My page file usuage becomes unusally high whenever I get on the internet. For example, I tried downloading Service Pack 3 and the PF Usuage shows 1.3 GB with the download stuck at 2% (going around 15 kB/s when I have a 3 mB/s internet speed) Also, I try watching streaming videos (which before ran uninterrupted) and now the videos will play for 15 seconds then just stop and freeze.

I have even done a System Recovery where I put in 3 CDs (which afterwards also means this is not a virus or spam problem). I've defragmented all my hard drives. I've increased my page file to around 3 GB using the virtual memory. I've downloaded the Windows Updates. But none of these methods worked.

I also noticed my computer doesn't stand by anymore. It just freezes on the screen Preparing to Standby but never does actually standby. I then have to turn off my computer by holding down the power button and then restart it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:57 PM

With 512MB of RAM installed...you should expect pagefile usage to be high.

The pagefile is there to augment memory on systems with less-than-optimum amounts of RAM installed. It's not an efficient technique, but it's better than nothing.

The optimum suggestion would be to increase the RAM installed amount.

<<I've downloaded the Windows Updates.>>

If you have SP2 installed...that means that you are currently lacking over 100 critical updates since SP2.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480 plus all the critical updates issued since SP3 itself (quite a few).

Have you checked the system for malware recently?

Louis

#3 Qwerty100588

Qwerty100588
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:16 PM

With 512MB of RAM installed...you should expect pagefile usage to be high.

The pagefile is there to augment memory on systems with less-than-optimum amounts of RAM installed. It's not an efficient technique, but it's better than nothing.

The optimum suggestion would be to increase the RAM installed amount.

<<I've downloaded the Windows Updates.>>

If you have SP2 installed...that means that you are currently lacking over 100 critical updates since SP2.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480 plus all the critical updates issued since SP3 itself (quite a few).

Have you checked the system for malware recently?

Louis

I've tried downloading SP3, but even that doesn't work. The download will stop at around 2-3 % and the computer will freeze. Also, before this problem started, my computer was working fine (with the same amount of 512MB RAM). Anyway, I guess I'll try downloading SP3 on a different computer and then transfer the file.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (SP3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Installation Guide - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296

Please read the above before attempting install of SP3.

Louis

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

First of all IMHO you/everybody needs SP-3. As hamluis has stated. 512 mb of ram will make P/F high. I have also found when I went to SP-3 you not only get the update it also leaves behind at lot of things; if you are getting short of hard drive room it will stop. (no place to put and or save things) Sp-3 is a large update. At this time RAM is a little high in price; but if you need it you need it. Make sure you match the ram you got with the ram your getting if you can't get all new. The good news is hard drives are down in price.
P/S if hamluis speaks I listen.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:05 PM

LOL...I paid LB to say that, it's wonderful how effective bribes are :thumbsup: .

Louis

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Good evening hamluis. I'm waiting for the check in the mail.

#8 Qwerty100588

Qwerty100588
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

Ok. I've installed SP3 and also downloaded the updates. I've also downloaded Malwarebytes and scanned my system. Nothing came up.

Installing more RAM may fix the problem, but my computer was running fine before on 512 RAM and never before had an issue for 7 years. Why it seems to act up now, I don't know?

Just some more info:

When I start up my computer, and after all the services start up & CPU goes to 0%, the initial PF Usuage is around 250MB. (I think this is crazy seeing that the computer comes with 512 MB and is already using half when I'm not doing anything.)

When I start firefox, it will got to around 500 MB.

When I try watching videos, it will go to around 700+ MB which by this time the computer will freeze and I'll just have to pull the plug. I set my commit charge to 3405 MB.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

Well...if you have obtained 7 years of service from a computer with no problems...I would have to say that you should consider yourself fortunate.

But good luck doesn't necessarily carry over to the next minute, day, or year.

Aside from suggesting a clean install (the system probably needs such after such an extended period of time) and additional RAM, I really don't know what else I might do.

Louis

#10 Qwerty100588

Qwerty100588
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:00 AM

Ok, I guess I'll just have to install new RAM. For the time being, I uninstalled McAfee Virus Scan, which freed up some of my RAM, optimized my registry with Registry Mechanic (good too), and am running FreeMem, which I also found to be very good. As opposed to the initial PF Usage of 250MB when I start my computer, it is now around 140 when I start my computer (but still increases as I browse the web).

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

FWIW: A common view among the knowledgeable or semi-knowledgeable...is that using a program like the two that you mentioned..is a waste of time, money (in some cases) and probably counterintuitive to running Windows with a minimum of problems.

XP Myths - http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/XPMyths.html

mythbusting Debunking Common Windows Performance Tweaking Myths - http://lifehacker.com/5033518/debunking-co...-tweaking-myths

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner, see Disadvantages.

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users