Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows live messenger wonkiness

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

I broke down and installed windows live messenger... but it seems I might as well junk it, because although it's the newest version it's failing to connect to the service giving me the error code which returns info about having to upgrade to the newest version to access the service. working on XPSP2 here, if it matters. anyone have any idea why the newest version of windows live messenger is giving me error 8000401a ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

The vast majority of fixes I see for that error relate to a registry edit. Most choose to delete the 'latest and greatest' and use version 8.5 which can be found here.

If you choose the registry fix I can point you to it.

As to why, No I don't know why, but you are not alone with that error.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:19 AM

go ahead on the registry fix. I might need the info for another time, after all. *shrug*

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:50 PM

Here is one of several listings of the registry edit: http://www.msghelp.net/printthread.php?tid=87879

Scroll about half way down to a post by: Suyesh which shows:

Navigate to on regedit:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\

DELETE KEY:
380689D0-AFAA-47E6-B80E-A33436FE314B

Since this is a registry edit, make sure you back up your registry before making any changes.

I have not had this issue so I have not attempted this fix.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:24 PM

The vast majority of fixes I see for that error relate to a registry edit. Most choose to delete the 'latest and greatest' and use version 8.5 which can be found here.

If you choose the registry fix I can point you to it.

As to why, No I don't know why, but you are not alone with that error.

Not to hijack the post, but this cleared up an issue I've been fighting for months. I used the beta download and it works perfectly so far.
Thanks Animal......

John

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users