Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Privacy Center

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cornwell

cornwell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

I am new! My wife's PC is locked on the desktop photo with only the privacy center window open. I cannot access anything else. it will not allow me to boot in safe mode of any sort and it guides me to pre determined websites when I try to access the internet from the privacy center. I cannot acces any exeternal drive to try and install a program to remove the infection. Should I remove the hard drive, place it in an external case and have my PC use the rec. software to remove the virus?
Corny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

Dang! That thing has got you LOCKED DOWN! I would pull the drive and then run scans with Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware as well. Clear out what they find and then if possible run a virus scan with your antivirus software as well.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:46 PM

I finally ran across this one on a customer's system today.

Everything was locked down. I used an XP live CD to boot and went to Windows/System32 folder and organized files according to date. Since the system locks down, the last files are the ones that are likely infected. I went through and renamed all of the files that were at the bottom, and created at the same time. Google is your friend here. There were about 9 files created at the same time listed. A reboot got me to an actual desktop. MBAM still wouldn't install. Online I went to ESET's site and ran their online scanner. That cleaned it enough to run MBAM. MBAM found 1421 infected files. Installed customer's Norton Internet security 2010 and all is well.

I do have to go back and check to see if safe mode will work. Safe mode would run, bluescreen momentarily and reboot.

EDIT: I would have normally pulled the hard drive and scanned it via a USB adapter, but this system is an oddball Sony all in one desktop that is a pain to take apart.

Edited by dpunisher, 08 December 2009 - 09:48 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users