Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista- what works what doesn't

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 g52ultra

g52ultra

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:56 AM

Okay, heres where I'm at:

Weapons of choice:

1. Sony Vaio V505 2gig P4M, 512mb, built in ATI 64mb
2. IBM Thinkpad G40, 2.6 desktop P4, 750mb, CPU processed video

this works

1. All Sony V505 drivers loaded. Beta driver suppliment hlped out, too.
2. IBM audio drivers and hotkeys can be forced, defaults to Intel IBM audio driver and MS generic by default.
3. Office 2003 and Microsoft Activesync 3.8 (for my HP IPAQ) No issues.
4. Sun Star Office 7 with Suns Java VM plug in. My Office Suite Of choice. No issues.
5. The IE7 browser works pretty well. Damn 180 search people and spyware people haven't got into this one....yet. But its too bad that after all these years IE7 Beta one is still inferior to Opera or the amateur looking Firefox.
6. Opera 8 and Firefox 106 browsers- no issues.
7. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 with USB Wingman joystick- yeah, baby :huh:
8. ACDSee 5 and 7. good to go. Even recognized my Casio Exilim camera- after I manually fed it the driver.
9. Canon I560 printer forced the driver, okay
10. Creative Labs Zen Micro and Nomad 3. Surprisingly here was a software application that Creative Labs made that WORKS when faced with an upgraded OS (and a crippled one at that). Had to manually seek the players drivers to get the CL media stuff to work. WMP 10 instantly recognized them too, once the right player drivers were loaded. To bad Microsoft has got such a bug up their a$$ over copywrite management, because WMP10 automatically would load my players, but wants to do it with WMA. Christ, if MP3 wasn't bad enough as it is..
11. Any USB or Firewire IDE hardrive, DVD burner. Good to go.
12 Adobe Audition 1.5
13. Adobe Acrobat 7 Pro
14. Intervideo winDVD 6 and 7
15. Belkin wireless PCMCIA card. Load the program, Force the driver

what ain't

1. Canoscanner usb powered flatbed . No, no, nada.
2. Can't get Pinnacle or Nero CD/DVD burning software to work- correctly. Key word. Big thing. I'd bet money on Roxio, however, because MS uses a default Roxio driver for CDR/RW burning in Vista. Unfortunately, I'd rather bet your money. Sides I already got a twenty down on MiG being the new singer for INXS.
3. Antivirus programs. Some guys got em to work here, but I haven't. Don't even think of NAV. Ever since they took the dudes picture off the front of the box, NAV went from the best to the worst. Doesn't even run correctly on XP!
4. Sony HiMD minidisc player model MD-NH1. Software loads, but I can't get it to recognize the player.
5. Hauppauge WinTV USB. Crashed. Viciously too. Had to reload.
6. Audio cards. Wanted nothing to do with my
7.. Sony MZ-NH1 HiMD minidisc player using Sonic Stage software.
8. Creative Labs PCMCIA and Augigy USB. Thud.

Theres more, but I'll spare you. 5112 should be called 5150. Nice to play with but you'll go physco at this early stage in development.

I honestly think that if you wanted to run it on a notebook for basic office tasking and limited multimedia (burning issues) you could actually truck around Vista Beta 1 for as long as you want.

For Desktop Users, I will say this. You must have a lot more hair to pull than I do, and I have a lot of hair.

Right now I learned this:

1. Vista should run any current software out there. No sure how the graphics intensive stuff will fare, but hey if that's your bag, you should be on AMD64's with 256MB Nvidias and ATI's. As for these Vista features, if you want the eye candy, you need the performance. For me, I'm still satisfied with 2000 and prefer it over XP Pro and 2003 server. I think it just performs better. Sad that aftermarket developers can't cash in on evolving the 2000 OS. Theyde have a huge client network too: 48 percent of the buisness users market- the people who MS just abandoned. The people who right now are balking at upgrading 2003 or XP Pro. Longhorn what?

2. If you're so concerned about Vista performance requirements to actually throw lotza money at it, think about this:

Nows the time to buy a Mac. You get all this stuff NOW. I just had a pretty humbling XPerience (pun intended) recently when using my girlfriends G4. By the time Vista/Longhorn server will be out, Apple will probably have something like OSXVIII. God knows what Linux community will evolve into. The door just got smashed down when MS cut off 2000Pro developement.

3. Vast majority of plug and play devices that software load via an executable will require you to go in a seek XP drivers out on system devices. If your lucky.

4. I ran Vista on the worst video display processor known to modern man circa 2004. No eye candy transparancies, but if that was my primary concern I wouldn't have bought a IBM. Once I sorted my driver issues out it worked fine. Just as well as XP.

5. Vista does run a P4M 2.0 with 512 mb of memory. It ran just as well as it did on XP Pro (in Office 2003 Applications, it ran faster)

There's a lot of potential in this OS. My Linux/Gentoo desktop setup is slowly pushing me away from Windows, but I'll buy a copy of it for one of my laptops, at least. As for now, I'll concentrate on learning Vistas features (and there are a lot of cool ones) rather than trying to make demands of it. I don't plan on hardware attacking it any more until manufactures endorce drivers for it, or until Final Beta comes out. Or I'll have a Powerbook and then just forget all about it.

One more thing. If it's the eye candy and the ego your after, why not try the Longhorn Transformation Pack for Windows XP?

Do a google. The guy who made it actually got a more "acceptable Vistalike look than Vista has," complete with Longhorn bootup screens and prompts- and he's still tinkering with it. Throw IE7 beta on it (tip: it's out there, it's free, it's downloadable- 10MB to be exact- and it's waiting to be yours if you know how to find it) and nobody would know the difference. At least for a year and half, perhaps.

Edited by g52ultra, 12 August 2005 - 06:52 AM.

Anybody know where John Titors's '66 Vette is (or was, or will be)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 g52ultra

g52ultra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:50 PM

Threw an 80Gig pullout drive into my 2003 Server Workstation (we wont go there in this forum)and loaded it with Vista 5112 for bleep$ and giggles:

System statistics Intel 3gig, 2gigs of memory, 1.23 terra, ATI 9600XT, Audigy 2ZS, Hauppauge wintv pvr 350.

1. Just got Nero Ultra 6 to work. All Nero features supported, including InCD (important for me- I demand packet writing)
2. McAfee Enterprise 8.0i - good to go. Downloads updates, too.
3. WinTV PVR 350- autoinstaller wont load- had to seek driver (had to do this even when I used XP pro), but once this is done, everything loads from the installer disc
4. Creative Labs Audigy 2- loaded everything right off installation disc
5. Got a driver zip package off of ATI's website. They got Vista. May have loaded it with a 2003 server driver, don't remember now.
6. Davis VantagePro Wireless weather station. Even configured the Vantage Pro serial to usb connections.

Looks like if it's a go on 2003 server, it's a go on Vista.

Edited by g52ultra, 16 August 2005 - 12:31 AM.

Anybody know where John Titors's '66 Vette is (or was, or will be)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users