Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:08 AM

Hello again
I had a 2 yr old Gateway FX530 computer, just installed Windows 7 not more then 2 weeks ago. I was having trouble with both of the optical drives as they would not want to open. Gateway sent out 2 new drives but they didn't match. One was correct and the other didn't fit. Long story short Gateway offered to send out a new updated computer. They did try to send out a low end computer at first but I insisted it be another FX. I received a brand new FX6710 which had everything except the TV tuner card which I took off the old unit (OK'd by them). This computer came with 6 gig of ram but can take 8 gigs. My question is should I buy the extra ram?? I will need to get 2 sticks of 2 gig as the computer has 2gigs X 2 plus 2 single 1gig sticks. I figure it would cost about 90 to 100.00 to upgrade. Will I see a difference in performance? If you think I should can you please tell me which type need to buy

Ps. It came with 64bit Vista but I already put window 7 back in. Now I know why Window 7 was sent with both 32 and 64 bit discs
I had taken a 4 yr in home service contract which paid for itself :huh:

Thanks for the help
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_computersplus_*

Guest_computersplus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

you have plenty of ram don't waste your money

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:09 AM

I tend to agree that 6 gigs of RAM should be plenty, UNLESS...You are using quite a few applications or extreme games that use up tons of RAM...The 64 bit flavors will support (I believe 8gigs or more)...Will this improve performance? Possibly... it won't hurt your system providing that you install matching sticks. Will it be worth the added expense? Again, that will depend on how you use your computer...For just e-mail, normal surfing and the like you should be just fine with what you have....But if you are an extreme gamer or you are using several RAM hungry applications it may help you to max out your RAM...

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 06 December 2009 - 10:15 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:56 AM

As I said I got this new computer free as far as I'm concerned so I wouldn't mind spending a little to improve it. I know it takes DDR2 800 PC2 6400 but I don't know if they are all equal. I will need 2 2gig sticks to replace 2 1gig sticks

Thanks for replying
Tom

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

I would do a search for the RAM modules that you need...Most sellers will analize your system and recommend what your need to fill your available slots with the proper RAM modules for your system...Takes a lot of the guesswork out of it....

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 06 December 2009 - 01:38 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

OK thanks
Tom

#7 Jacee

Jacee