Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 john clemence

john clemence

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:25 AM

Hi,
This is my first post, I heard about this site from a poster on freepctech.
My laptop battery died the other morning, I think it must have been in the middle of loading Vista updates as it would not re-start after plugging in the power cord. I tried booting from the dvd and selecting startup repair. Sometimes it ”could not repair” and other times “could not find any problem”. Sometimes I get a screen saying”loading 3 of 3 windows updates 0 %” it would then shut down without getting past 0 %. I tried system restore but I don’t think a restore point was set although I did back-up to an external H.D.
I am wondering if my only option would be a complete new installation, (I assume I will loose all my stuff), could I then recover the “stuff” from the external H.D.
I would prefer to get the system restarted without a clean install but don’t know what else to try.
Any tips for a dummy would be very much appreciated.
Regards,
John.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:28 AM

hi,,,, boot from your disc again and enter the recovery console,,,, choose system restore and restore to before the updates,,,, there will be a restore point made by vista prior to the updates in question :huh:
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 john clemence

john clemence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:56 AM

Hi figgis, Thanks for taking the time to reply. When I get to System Restore I get the message "no system restore points have been created on your system disk. To create a system restore point open System Protector. When I click on the highlighted words System Protector I get the message "your computer is running limited diagnostics - you cannot undo restore. I click on the only option "OK" and then nothing. Back and Next are greyed out leaving only cancel. I click on cancel and am back to "system Recovery Options"!
I should be bald by the amount of hair I am pulling out!!
Thanks again anyway.
Regards,
John.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:07 PM

hi,,, its telling you you have no system restore points :huh:
not a good idea to have it turned off,,,
ok lets try this,,,, using the recovery disc again boot to the recovery console again and select "Command Prompt" from the recovery choices.
At the command prompt type: C:
Type: cd WindowsWinSxS
Type: del pending.xml
Exit and reboot
look where the gaps are in the commands,,, these must be there,,, ie,,, between cd & windowsWinSxS
between del & pending.xml
easy way is to copy and paste the commands after it says "type"
not to sure if this will sort it but give it a go :huh:
good luck,,,,
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

hi John,,,, just another point,,,, the back up you made,,, was it a mirror image backup of the full drive ???
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 john clemence

john clemence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

Hi figgis,
I really appreciate your help - thanks.
I am assuming I hit "enter" after each line.
After typing "cd WindowsWinSxS" I get the message
The system cannot find the path specified. (I tried ommiting the space between "cd" and "WindowsWinSxS" but that was not recognized as a command).
I carried on by typing "del pending.xml" then I get
Could not find C:\pending.xml
In answer to your last query, I am not sure what backup I have - I plugged in an external HD went to programmes - accessories (and I think) system tools. I then selected backup. I was told auto backup was turned off so I selected" backup now". I seem to remember a little flag came up to say backup was running but I don't know what kind!
Sorry - I did warn you I am a dummy!!
Regards,
John.

#7 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

hi,,,, thats ok,, was not really expecting it to work,,,, what addition of vista do you have,, i its home prem or basic then it will not be a full mirror image,,, bit of a downer as this would have made things easy, reinstall the drive image and its back to how it was when the backup was made,,,
ok if you cant start up repair, have no restore points and the pc is just not booting at all,,, ie safe mode itc, then try this,,,,,, take off the battery unplug the power lead then take off the back of the laptop very carefully and make sure you ground yourself and then carefully take off the cmos battery,,,
http://www.laptopparts101.com/wp-content/u...ver-560x420.jpg
leave it out for about 30 mins,,, then put it back in shove the back on put the battery on and plug in and boot up and see if this gets it to post,,,, if its still doing nothing then a reinstall might be the next step,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#8 john clemence

john clemence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:41 AM

Hi again figgis,
Sorry to be such a pain - I should have known if anything goes wrong with my kit - it usually goes wrong big time!
I took out the battery you suggested and left it out overnight but it still gets to "configuring updates 3 of 3 0 %" and then shuts down!!
I have a H.D. USB dock and removed the H.D. put it in the dock and scanned it with Avast on a 2nd pc - everything seemed ok and I was wondering if there might be someway of harvesting stuff onto another pc? Trouble is, the names of the files are not obvious what they are, (programmes or files) and I did not want to risk loosing anything through my own ignorance.
Any thoughts? I will of course understand if you have exhausted all your suggestions and as I said earlier, I do appreciate you taking the time to try to help me.
Regards,
John.

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:38 AM

hi John,,,, i seems that the pc is stuck in the infamous updates loop,,, but a funny version of it,,, this is why i asked you to try the fix using command prompt,,,, this is the fix if you have no restore points which is the usual fix :huh:
im afraid were working our selves towards a reinstall of the os and then an install of the backup you made,,,, i will keep looking for another couple of days, and also see if anyone has any ideas and jumps in :huh: ,,, then its bite the bullet time im afraid,,,
get back to you soon John,,,,
regards
Ian.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users