Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer noise(not speakers)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Loodakid

Loodakid

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:06 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Computer case keeps makinga popping or static sound every time at startup then stops when i am at the desktop, then when i open any program, it happens again for 10 seconds then i can use the program normally. It always happens at the start of any program even paint. Any HDD activity like copying also makes the sound. Is my hard drive failing , or is there something wrong with my power supply, or is it just dust?!! And BTW the sound isnt very loud but it just makes me fear for my pc. And as i said, no speakers connected.
I ran Chkdsk and sea tools and they both said that their is no problems.
Here is the sound. (drop.io/xmtd7e4)
It is exactly between 16 and 20 seconds ( and i dont mean the high pitch thing i mean the popping) the rest is the mouse clicks. also ignore any sound before 16 seconds thats just me moving and bumping my mic next to the case

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

hi,,,, open the case and look around for anything loose and alo to see if you can localise where the sounds are coming from,,,, but before all this,,, back up your hard drive, just encase its going king dick.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

I believe you are describing a damaged condenser shorting out
It could be on the motherboard or in inside the power supply
Look at the picture that Techextreme posted here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276294/no-sounds-from-motherboard-sound-chip/
Look for any leakage or discoloration around any capacitor
Also look at their tops. They should be flat. If they have a dome shape or they're bulging, ther're getting ready to go
In a dark room with the side off, you might even be able to see the spark

Edited by garmanma, 05 December 2009 - 12:48 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Loodakid

Loodakid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

i wil look at the motherboard now, but IF the problem is with a blown capacitor, can you tell me my options, or will my computer live on , or will i have to replace the mobo. I dont have the money to replace it, can i send it to a computer shop to be fixed? and thanks for your answer,
EDIT: well good news cause it is not my motherboard, i looked at all the capacitors and none had been damaged or corrosed the area arround them, also there were no sparks. And not show that it was my Hard drive, i unplugged it and left the computer ON for 5 mins aqnd no static sound. So it is my HDD but the sound it very slow and my Hard drive is like 5 years old, Could it be aging, or will it fail?

Edited by Loodakid, 05 December 2009 - 03:40 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

my Hard drive is like 5 years old, Could it be aging, or will it fail?

Yes and yes
Did you happen to notice the brand of the hard drive?
You can go to the manufacturer's support site and download their diagnostic tool
Run it and see what it says
Be sure you have your drive backed up, sooner rather than later
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

Check this page which has recordings of various sounds made by failing hard drives. Let us know if one sounds like what you're hearing (especially the first one for Seagate)

#7 Loodakid

Loodakid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

well mine sound A little like the first seagate, the sound only happens when there is HDD activity. and it seems that i cannot run powermax(maxtor diagnostics)(cause my HDD is a maxtor) it freezes at detecting drives.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

Maxtor drives use the Seagate utility, http://www.maxtor.com/home-en-gb.html.

Louis

#9 Loodakid

Loodakid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

ok i ran all of the diagnostic basic tests in sea tools and the HDD passed them all. But i have a theory on the HDD sound, recently my windows died and i thought it was because of RAM and i opened the case and someved my sticks and tested them one by one, I moved alot of wires to get to the ram, could it be that i slightly moved the wire connected the HDD to power supply. And the sound Never occurred before that. After i turend on my computer and started installing windows that sound was there,(Damn that static sound). Can anyone tell me if my theory COULD be correct in anyway before opening my case and pushing the wire in cause my case is in a tight spot so it isnt easy.

#10 Loodakid

Loodakid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:11 PM

any help?

Edited by Loodakid, 08 December 2009 - 11:26 AM.

#11 Loodakid

Loodakid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:26 AM

bump?

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:36 PM

Yes, of course it is possible
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users