Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E-machine T3092 Booting Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kit81cat

kit81cat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:29 AM

*E-Machines T3092
*Windows XP Home Edition
*NVIDIA gFORCE4 MX graphics
*1 stick of 512MB ram

I turn the computer and monitor both on. It usually takes anywhere from 1-4 cold boots of the computer before the monitor will power on (from orange to green light). The computer starts every time, booting up I see the big "e" graphic come up on the monitor, then it comes to the black "how to start windows" screen asking to choose safe mode, normal, etc... The monitor will power off all of a sudden at varied points in turning on the system. Eg: Directly after I get to the "how to start windows" screen, or directly after I select normal mode, or directly after I select previous good configuration, or directly after I select safe mode, or after the Windows screen before the login. The computer continues to run (all mechanical sounds still audible, all lights stay on the computer and the keyboard). It's just the monitor that powers off. One out of every 50 tries will carry me thru the login and all the way to the desktop.

Here's what I've tried so far:
*a different monitor, exact same problem
*unplugged all exterior and interior connections (cords & cables) and plugged them all back in, same problem
*took the ram stick out of one slot and moved it to the other, started computer, monitor powers off
*tried a different, brand new 512mb ram stick, same problem
*put both 512mb ram sticks in, started the computer, both are recognized under bios, monitor powers off.
*took the motherboard battery out, let it sit out for 30 minutes, put it back in, started the computer pressing the 'F' command to enter bios & changed the date back to current, save & exit, monitor powers off.
*Put a different battery in, started computer, same problem
*Tried starting the computer and pressing the 'F8' command to enter safe mode so I can try system restore. I select any of the options to no avail, monitor powers off
*tested a couple of old graphics cards in the additional slots (found out the T3092 while having a graphics card built in to the motherboard, offers slots to add video cards). One didn't do anything when I powered the computer up, but the other had the same problem of the monitor cutting off
*starting the computer with CA anti virus disc in it then with a windows xp disc in the cd rom, but the computer won't read either, just goes thru the motions as I stated earlier

The 3 times I've been able to get to my desktop since this has started happening, I was able to delete all cookies & temp files, empty recycle bin, add Avira antivirus program (after deleting all others), partially run virus scan and delete some viruses. One of the times, the monitor actually stayed on until the virus scan was 94% done, then powered off. The next time, after emptying unnecessary files I selected restart only to have the monitor power off and the computer stay dormant, not restarting.

I don't know what's wrong! I can't get the monitor to stay on long enough to work on it. Viruses?Malware? The built-in graphics card? Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

While you were inside the box did you reset the bios to default using the board jumper?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 kit81cat

kit81cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:40 PM

While you were inside the box did you reset the bios to default using the board jumper?

No I did not, I'm not sure where the jumper connections are in this tower and I don't know what pins they're supposed to be switched to.

I have no technical training, I'm completely self-taught (learn as I go). Never before this stumped.

**(I forgot to mention that all 3 times I did get to the desktop, all appeared normal until the monitor shut off. Also, when I go into BIOS, the monitor never shuts off, it stays on as long as I'm in BIOS, but when I save and exit, the monitor will power off as well.)

Edited by kit81cat, 05 December 2009 - 02:47 PM.

#4 garybeafl

garybeafl

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

Try a different monitor.

#5 kit81cat

kit81cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

Try a different monitor.

I've tried 3 monitors, all with the same outcome. This is my mother-in law's computer that I've had for the last month trying to fix. I just can't figure it out for the life of me.

Edited by kit81cat, 05 December 2009 - 06:08 PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

Ok IMO there is nothing wrong with the monitor, it works fine when in the bios and probably for a short period during boot up. I believe you have a video driver problem as soon as they load the problem starts. Is this this sequence correct?

A little more have you changed resolution lately maybe your video does not support it. Your video card or board video chip may be getting tired, there are probably a couple more ideas but it is not the monitor. I am willing to bet if you went to a DOS prompt at start up you could stay there forever with out any monitor issues,

Edited by OldPhil, 05 December 2009 - 10:28 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

SWAG: Power supply.

I've had eMachines and they are OK (once I delete everything and install XP anew), but the power supply units are the weakest component, IMO.

Louis

FWIW: The lack of a video signal...does not point to the monitor, as you seem to have thought. Any number of things can prevent the signal from being processed through to the monitor. If the monitor displays "no signal", the monitor is working fine...it's something else at fault.

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2009 - 08:26 PM.

#8 Guest_computersplus_*

Guest_computersplus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:40 AM

If you have removed the battery from the motherboard for 30 minutes that's the same thing as clearing the CMOS jumper the other poster referred to and once you have done that you have to do more than reset date and time you need to go through each setting in the bios one by one or choose load defaults.

The thing I would check for in the bios settings is the boot device order as you said you had put in two different Cd's neither of which would boot so find the boot order and set cd rom device as first boot device and hard drive as number two disable any other devices save and exit no see if you can boot from your XP disc if so format and reinstall XP to rid the drive of all infection.

Just keep in mind as well E machine is one of the worst computers built on the planet and are famous for frying motherboard and power supply's I have had more of them come into my shop fried than any other computer there is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users