Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple versions of same program installed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skittleys

skittleys

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:55 AM

When I open up Add/Remove Programs, or even if I use Revo Uninstaller, I find that I have multiple versions of the same program installed. It's not *exactly* the same, it just seems that an older version wasn't uninstalled when the newer one was. I have read this tutorial on what to do when you didn't properly uninstall something and have "leftovers", but I'm not sure that that applies in this case. When I tried googling, I found something about why you might have multiple versions of Java installed, and that made sense, but these ones don't.

The most annoying examples are:
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007 Trial & Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 (something to do with it being a different suite?!)
Spybot - Search & Destroy & Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 (that first one is version 1.6.2, so it's newer)

What I basically want to know is if I can uninstall the earlier version without it turning around and uninstalling the whole thing (especially w/ Office, as I definitely need it but that damned trial is taking up almost 800MB!!), and I want to know why this happens in the first place so I can prevent it from occurring in the future!

Then there's the gamut of Microsoft .NET Framework programs: 1.0 Hotfix, 1.1, 2.0 service pack 2, 3.0 service pack 2, 3.5SP1. Do I need any of those other than 3.5SP1 (and maybe that hotfix because it was apparently only just installed)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

P.S. I posted in the win xp forum because I had no idea where this post belonged and that tutorial suggests that it's a Windows thing..........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:10 AM

Some programs may detect older versions installed and ask you or automatically remove the older version before installing. But other programs do not act this way. So a better approach is when you install a new software you should check and uninstall older or different versions first. You can always go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the older un-needed versions.

You can uninstall the trial version of Office Student. If that changes some file opening or association behavior, then you can perform a repair install of Office Enterprise.

You need all .NET versions because you never know which software is using which version of .NET. So keep all the versions and the security fixes. Hotfixes are needed to protect you from known vulnerabilities, so do not uninstall them.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

Use Open Office instead, does everything MS Office does and it's free. http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users