Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Win 7 on a crashed HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 urbanninja

urbanninja

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

My mom's computer had a logical HDD crash, so the OS (Win xp) wouldn't boot and when I tried to go into system setup, it said "Enter CURRENT Password."
So, (I had to go back to college for finals) but when I get back, I'm going to reset the BIOS pass (jumper switch) so I can get to the boot sequence and boot puppy linux. Then, I will retrieve her personal documents off the HDD, and finally I am going to buy Windows 7 do a clean install.

So my question is will I be able to boot with the Win7 disc and be able to format the hard drive (even if it is corrupt) to do a clean install? Or would the hard disks be useless after a crash and possible corruption?

btw, the nature of the crash was manually turning it off when it took too long shutting down.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:08 AM

Most HD makers provide diagnostic tools. Determine what kind
of hard drive you have then visit the site to get those tools.
For example SeaTools: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools
You will need to download and run the program on a working PC in order
to create the bootable CD to use in the broken one.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

FWIW: Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

For the diagnostic...you want the .iso version, rather than any files which are in .zip format. If .zip is all that's offered, that's a different story.

The .iso file will then have to be burned to CD, using a special type of burn program.

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Once the .iso file is burned to CD, the result is a bootable CD with the diagnostic. Put the CD in the tray, reboot the system...enter the BIOS and change the boot options so that the optical drive is first, F10 to save changes...system reboots, should run the diagnostic. If short and long tests are options in diagnostic, run the long test.

Louis

#4 urbanninja

urbanninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

I'm guessing neither one of you guys were paying attention. I already know what I am going to do about recovering data. Even if puppy linux doesn't woork the way I want, I have 2 other sure fire plans. All I need to know is "Are crashed hard drives re-usable?"

So my question is will I be able to boot with the Win7 disc and be able to format the hard drive (even if it is corrupt) to do a clean install? Or would the hard disks be useless after a crash and possible corruption?

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

Yes you can. It doesn't sound like it sustained major damage, just a file problem.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 urbanninja

urbanninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

Yes you can. It doesn't sound like it sustained major damage, just a file problem.

okay thanks for the response.. and for actually reading my post :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:50 PM

You missed the intent...which happens.

The only real way to determine if a hard drive is "useable" is to run a diagnostic on it....or try to use it.

Have a nice life :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 urbanninja

urbanninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:06 PM

You missed the intent...which happens.

The only real way to determine if a hard drive is "useable" is to run a diagnostic on it....or try to use it.

Have a nice life :thumbsup:.

Louis

Well, I meant "are crashed hard drives re-usable in general". Sorry for missing your good intentions and for possibly offending you. Thank you for the information you provided, and have a nice life yourself! :flowers:

Edited by urbanninja, 06 December 2009 - 09:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users