Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD lagging on laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 socali

socali

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:55 AM

Recently, I've tried to play DVDs on my computer (Dell Inspiron E1505) but there's some pretty heavy lagging. I have defragmented and cleaned up some files so it generally does run better. I have also tried pausing my antivirus and exiting programs I don't need from the bar in the bottom right hand corner. The Primary and Secondary IDE is set in DMA mode. I don't think it's memory (I have 7.31GB of free space on my C: drive and 502 MB of RAM) Right now, the only way I can watch DVDs is if I shut down my computer and use the MediaDirect button. But previously I was able to watch DVDs just fine and still have my computer on. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:48 AM

Try down loading Quick Time, I have never tried it but it was stated on another board.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

Quicktime is fine for .mov files, but has too many drawbacks to enable the playing of DVDs,
even with the add-on components - I believe only the basic player is free.

If none of your DVDs will play in say, WMP or PowerDVD or some such program,
the problem lies with your system.

Presumably you have run the usual antivirus / anti malware scans.

If you were previously playing DVDs satisfactorily, with the free space and memory you mentioned,
you'll need to look elsewhere.

Is the drive working correctly with data CDs?
Do your DVDs need a clean?

I've not experienced Mediadirect, but this through Google:

"Control panel>Auto Play>
At the top of page you will see "Use AutoPlay For All Media and Devices",

if this box is checked, click it to un-check it."

Perhaps this will free up your other players.

Edited by petewills , 05 December 2009 - 11:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users