Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I just got a 300gb hard drive and I need help.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mastertang

mastertang

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:45 AM

I have the sinful problem of having the windows xp 137gb storage space limit so i am going to get sp1 and download the big drives patch. PROBLEM. I want the new 300gb drive to be my primary drive. My old 80 gig drive is dying on me and I want to transfer the files then install windows onto the new one.
heres my current itinerary: format new drive, transfer backup files onto new drive. shut down, remove old drive, restart, install windows and drivers onto new drive. How will i do this though when the sp1 and patch wont be on the new drive? can I somehow install windows and then get the service pack and patch and get my full 300gigs of space afterwards without creating a partition? I refuse to have a partition is what i am saying. Please help me with my dilemma. thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:03 AM

AutoStreamer

Download AutoStreamer and slipstream SP1/SP2 into your current XP installation media, that way when you install SP1/SP2 will already be present. This process will give you a new WinXP iso that's bootable.

I would advise you slipstream with SP2 as it's more secure than using SP1.

Awesome application for slipstreaming Service Packs onto your Windows installations CD's!! It was created for this project and includes features that will help everyone. It is compatiable with 2k, XP, and 2k3!!

Edited by stidyup, 12 August 2005 - 07:03 AM.

#3 mastertang

mastertang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:55 PM

thanks for the help but how will I get the big drives program in there too? I still need that to ge tmy new hdd to work. another problem, I tested out the big drives program and it says that the new drive is only 279gb when in the biosetc it clearly says there is 300gb. how do i ensure that i will get all that space when formatting?

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:22 PM

Please see the following from Maxtor. It will explain the reason your not seeing the 300GB. It is not a problem with your drive.

Hard drive manufacturers market drives in terms of decimal (base 10) capacity. In decimal notation, one megabyte (MB) is equal to 1,000,000 bytes, and one Gigabyte (GB) is equal to 1,000,000,000 bytes.

Programs such as FDISK, system BIOS, and Windows use the binary (base 2) numbering system. In the binary numbering system, one megabyte is equal to 1,048,576 bytes, and one gigabyte is equal to 1,073,741,824 bytes.

Simply put, decimal and binary translates to the same amount of storage capacity. Lets say you wanted to measure the distance from point A to point B. The distance from A to B is one kilometer or .621 miles. It is the same distance, but it is reported differently due to the measurement.

Capacity Calculation Formula

Decimal capacity / 1,048,576 = Binary MB capacity

Example:
A 40 GB hard drive is approximately 40,000,000,000 bytes (40 x 1,000,000,000).

40,000,000,000 / 1,048,576 = 38,162 megabytes

In the table below are examples of approximate numbers that the drive may report.

Decimal Binary MB Windows Output
20 GB 19,073 MB 18.6 GB
40 GB 38,610 MB 37.3 GB
60 GB 57,220 MB 55.8 GB
80 GB 76,293 MB 74.5 GB
120 GB 114,440 MB 111.7 GB
160 GB 152,587 MB 149 GB

What kind of drive do you have? Most newer drives come with a utility that will allow you to image the entire contents of you "old" drive over to the new. And ..there are also free utilities, but I haven't used any of them.
JC

#5 mastertang

mastertang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:48 PM

oh ok I get it now. but I still have the one problem. I am using autostream to get sp2 into the installation but How will i get my new hard drive to be formatted at 300gb if there is no big drives program. If I take out old drive, install slipstreamed copy of windows onto new drive, it will only format as 137 gb. How do I format the new hard drive at 300gb when it will be the only drive in the system?

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:39 PM

Did you slipstream SP2 and try to boot from the CD yet, as stidyup suggested?

It should work.

Here's a few links to look at that may help with the process:

With SlipStreamer ....

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_a...tostreamer.html

The other way ....
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/w...sp2-bootcd.html

Good-luck, and let us know how you make out.

Edited by Joshuacat, 12 August 2005 - 02:41 PM.

JC

#7 mastertang

mastertang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:58 PM

I'm gonna do it now. Sorry if I ever sounded rude or anything. I have just never done this particular thing or had this problem before. actually, do you guys think its possible to format the new drive now, copy my backed up files onto it then install windows xp on it? would the 300 gb forma be detected? that would make my life much easier.

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:14 PM

I always prefer to copy my data files to another media first before doing an installation.
I use USB/ CD/or portable drive to back up first. Remember, you cannot copy over your applications(and use them) without re-installing them. Like I mentioned before, if you want to retain your current image, you could use the imaging utility that came with the drive- if it came with one -and copy over your complete image over with that. Just depends on the make/model of your drive... and if one was included.

No matter what you do with the new drive now, you still have your old drive as back-up.
So copy away...

For some, slipstreaming can be a bit of a challenge, so you will have to do some research and read though the links provided.

By the way...I never thought you sounded rude.... :thumbsup:

Good-luck
JC

#9 mastertang

mastertang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:40 PM

SUCCESS! all my saved files backed up and now I have a beautiful fast drive with 260 gigs of space still free. Tanks very much for the help. god bless you all.

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:53 PM

Excellent! Thanks for posting back with your result.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users