Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bjett

bjett

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

I am not sure if this is the best place for this question, but here I go.
I have a Toshiba Satellite, and earlier today I got a blue screen while searching the web on Mozilla. After rebooting my laptop everything was REALLY slow. I quickly rebooted again to see if it would improve the performance, and it did as far as I can tell; However when I look in task manager the performance doesn't look the same as it normally does. I am far from an expert when it comes to what my performance should look like, so I wanted to see if someone could tell me if this is okay.
My physical memory is reading:
Total 3837
Cached 2700
Free 0

All the other times that I remember looking at my performance it would show the cached memory half that and the other half in the free memory. Is this okay? From what I understand, it is okay to have a high number in cached memory but it is not okay to have no free memory. Is this correct? I really don't have any big programs running, and when I look at the processes running there is nothing that seems out of the ordinary.

Any advice on what is going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 urbanninja

urbanninja

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:37 AM

I am not sure if this is the best place for this question, but here I go.
I have a Toshiba Satellite, and earlier today I got a blue screen while searching the web on Mozilla. After rebooting my laptop everything was REALLY slow. I quickly rebooted again to see if it would improve the performance, and it did as far as I can tell; However when I look in task manager the performance doesn't look the same as it normally does. I am far from an expert when it comes to what my performance should look like, so I wanted to see if someone could tell me if this is okay.
My physical memory is reading:
Total 3837
Cached 2700
Free 0

All the other times that I remember looking at my performance it would show the cached memory half that and the other half in the free memory. Is this okay? From what I understand, it is okay to have a high number in cached memory but it is not okay to have no free memory. Is this correct? I really don't have any big programs running, and when I look at the processes running there is nothing that seems out of the ordinary.

Any advice on what is going on?

So, you're saying that you only have 4MB of RAM? Mine says ~450,000K for "Total" and that is only 512MB. Today's standard for home use is 2-4GB of memory.

Anyways, you really haven't given much information. I have no clue what would cause a blue screen as I have never dealt with it and never had the need to look i up, but an easy way to speed up your computer is to purchase some additional RAM.

Also, could you give the model of your Toshiba Satellite?

#3 bjett

bjett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:57 AM

I actually have 4GB of RAM. My Task Manager shows the memory in MB and not KB. Sorry for the confusion.

I know that there are different reasons for getting a blue screen, and mostly it has to do with memory issue, but there could be several causes (From what limited knowledge that I have). It could be driver issues, or a virus that is not allowing the memory to allocate properly. But since I do know all this I have checked all of those issues.

I could post the code for the error, but my question is if the volume of the cached memory is normal, and if not what should I do about it.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A355D-S6889, and I am running Vista 64-bit.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:41 AM

hi,,,, you need to look at the figure at the bottom of t/m to see how much real memory you have left,,, it says physical memory at the bottom in %,,,, mine is now running at 42% of my 4gb (which only 3.2 is used on 32bit systems) and my free memory is 24 and cache is 2119 ,,, this is super fetch in action caching all the ram,,,, if the pc is running ok then all is fine :thumbsup:
good luck.

hi,,, just googled your pc spec's,,, i have an acer with the same processor and same spec and amount ram on a 32 bit os and its very quick,,, as an after thought ,,,, how many processes are running in t/m when the machine is in idle ??

Edited by figgis41, 05 December 2009 - 11:47 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 bjett

bjett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

At the bottom it shows that physical memory is 37%, when it is idle it shows 73 processes are running, and CPU Usage is at 4%. Now that you pointed it out to me, I would think that would look okay. What do you think?

My system does run well to my standards, and I even play WOW without much lag at all, so I am pretty sure everything is fine. I just want to be on the safe side.

One thing that hit me today though, is that I just started running malwarebytes on my system, but since it was new to me I have not used it 100%. I also run AVG on my system as my anti virus. Do you think it is necessary to run both? It may give me a lot more system resources if I just ran one of them, and if it was safe just to run malwarebytes I can get rid of AVG.

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:05 AM

hi,,, 37% is fine,,, 73 processes in idle is a little to much,,, you can reduce this an gain back some pc resources by stopping a lot of programs in the windows configuration,,,
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
scroll down to the msconfig part and follow the instructions on hoe to stop apps running when the pc starts,,, DO NOT stop your security software from running on startup,,,,
as for MAM and AVG,,,, you will need both of these,,, AVG is an anti virus and MBAM is anti malware,,,, if you have the full payed for version of MBAM then i also recomend turning off windows defender in services,,,, type services into start menu search box,,,,, scroll down to win def and double click on it, then click on the dropdown in the window and set to disable,,,, then click apply,,,, if you do not have the full version of MBAM then i would recommend you stop it from running at startup as it will not have realtime protection,,, hope this helps
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users