Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I make the upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Milk

Orange Milk

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

Ok, here's the thing: I've been using this computer my family got for nearly the past 3 years (since Christmas 2006). It has Windows XP Media Center edition. A couple weeks ago I found that we actually had a Windows Vista Premium upgrade DVD for the past 2.5-maybe 3 years. What I was thinking of doing was buying an external HDD and then making the switch.. However, I have one main question: Is it really worth it? Also, are there going to be some things that aren't compatible with Vista that were on XP? (Such as playing Starcraft.) Is it hard to backup all files on my hard drive and reinstall them? What external HDD would be a good one to buy? 60GB would be plenty for me. (I found this one on Newegg, but I was not sure of the quality or if it's good...)

(Man, this would have been good to know back when I had to reformat my computer over the summer.)

Edited by Orange Milk, 04 December 2009 - 07:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

First thing would be to get the Vista Upgrade Advisor http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...de-advisor.aspx

Check that your video and TV cards have drivers for Vista.

I would upgrade, if I had the choice. But then I'm the type who enjoys tinkering.

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:03 PM

I like XP better than Vista.

#4 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:34 AM

First thing would be to get the Vista Upgrade Advisor http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...de-advisor.aspx

Check that your video and TV cards have drivers for Vista.

I would upgrade, if I had the choice. But then I'm the type who enjoys tinkering.

Actually, the Vista upgrade thing came with 2 DVDs, one for upgrading to Vista, the other for checking drivers to see if everything is compatible (which I'm supposed to put in before the first DVD).

#5 WalkerA_WinTeam

WalkerA_WinTeam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

Hi Orange_Milk,

Have you been able to successfully transition to Windows Vista? If not, run the Upgrade Advisor first as recommended.

If you have any concerns about software compatibility, you can always check the Windows Vista Compatibility Center for information. For example, the WVCC entry for StarCraft states that a free upgrade is available from Blizzard that patches the game to run on Windows Vista.

As for deciding whether to upgrade at all, everyone on this forum should be able to help :huh:

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:13 AM

If XP works fine, I see no reason to "upgrade" to the headache that is Vista. Besides, with a computer that old, I'll bet the specs aren't nearly enough to run the "resource hog Vista". It will likely crawl along with a fair number of crashes (had plenty of experience with that!).

If you want something new and better, just get a new computer with Windows 7 already on it. You'll love it. It might take some adjusting to (with such a leap between XP and 7), but you will definitely enjoy it. If you were going from Vista to 7, it wouldn't be as big of a leap as the interfaces of the two are very similar (but the guts of the OS is where the differences are). To put it bluntly, Windows 7 is about 1,000 times better than Vista ever thought about being.

I see why you would consider upgrading since you already have a paid-for upgrade disk, but I would not recommend it for a computer that old. Either sticking with what you've got or buying a new one (can you say "after-Christmas sales"?) seems to be your best option, in my opinion. You shouldn't put Vista on an old, slow computer. It just doesn't work.

You might consider posting your system specs to give us an idea of what you're dealing with.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users