Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly stopped asking for a password on login

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Neuro Nougami

Neuro Nougami

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

Suddenly my computer just started logging me in without asking me for my password. I did 'run' and 'controluserpasswords2' or whatever it is and checked the box for it to ask me for a password, but it just doesn't do it.....and if it does (after I 'apply' the new settings and logout) it takes forever to logon (or at worst takes so long that I just give up).
What could the problem be and how can I fix it? Someone with exactly the same computer and using Vista said they had the same problem but it rectified in a week....however, it's now been a little longer than a week and I'm keen to restore my password so I can curb my brother's habit of using my messenger to terrorise my friends.
I've done lots of malware scans because (to my paranoid mind) everything is caused by malware, and it's turned up nothing.....so perhaps this is just a vista-specific glitch or something? (I know very little about computers, I hasten to add.....as if it wasn't obvious enough already...). Massive thanks to anyone who can solve this mystery.

-I went and edited the password thing in terms of what it does when you hibernate/sleep etc and I checked the box 'change settings that are currently unavailable' so I could check the 'require a password' box. Why was this suddenly unchecked in the first place? Just looking about on google a few people report the same issue.

Edited by Neuro Nougami, 04 December 2009 - 06:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:51 PM

Have you followed these instructions?
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista...stapassword.htm

#3 Neuro Nougami

Neuro Nougami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:59 PM

It already had a password to start with, but it suddenly stopped working again. I found the 'require a password' box greyed out, but once 'select currently unavailable options' was selected the issue seems to have resolved....but I really want to know why this happened and if it's a typical vista issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users