Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Evga 7600GT running at 53 degrees celsius (127F)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

Is running at 53C/127F too hot for a 7600gt evga graphics card in a a1520n HP PC, with a antec 650w psu?
Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:23 PM

Some input at http://www.overclock.net/nvidia-cooling/16...t-ko-temps.html.

Louis

#3 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:47 PM

That is some good input. Although, I am venturing into new territoy, in terms of installing fans and understanding intake and outtake fans. I forgot to mention that it runs idly at 53C.

Now I guess, I have to read up on fan installing. But I don't want more noise so I might just leave it. Without the graphics card installed, all my components on speedfan run under 30C.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

Well...chances are that your CPU has a higher/greater threshold/range than your video card, if I understand correctly. So the ambient temperatures inside the case mean something, but not much if your card melts down.

I think I'd focus on its temperature ranges.

Louis

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:59 PM

But I don't want more noise so...........

Not all fans are created equal. Some are rated not only by CFM = amount of air flow, some are also rated by Db = amount of noise when running.

One other option would be an aftermarket graphics card cooler. But the effectiveness of this would be hindered by the internal case temperature.

I`m with Louis. Would prefer a little noise over a toasted card.

#6 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

All temps in celsius

GPU: 53
CPU: 28
AMbient: 31
Remote: 43
HD0: 35
HD1: 36
Temp1: 40
Core: 29
Core: 53
Ambient: 0

I am sure some of those numbers are mixed up, in terms of speedfan listing both core and GPU, even though they seem to be readings from the same sensor.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

Computers get real quiet after they melt.

#8 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:50 AM

I am gonna call up my local memory express to see what they suggest then do an online price match. If I post an internal pic of my PC, will that help you guys give me better suggestions, on where to put a fan and what type to get? I see an empty slot on the motherboard, which is directly above the video card. But all the heat on the video card is coming from its bottom not the side exposed to the empty slot on the motherboard that is above the video card. Also on the bottom of the video card there is a little built in fan, which I presume does not do that much.

Edited by rsd79, 07 December 2009 - 04:17 AM.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:19 AM

eeeh a redneck approach here that may work I was having that issue with an old case, and ran out of fan slots, so I pulled out a dremel and drilled a hole out right above the video card and over the CPU and installed a 120 mm exhaust fan. worked wonders. I would just do a lot of research on fan placement, and then just start trying stuff. different rules apply with different cases, and fans are cheap. Just get a couple and get creative and play around with them until you get the desired results. if quiet is what your after find quiet fans, and sometimes just placement within the case can make things quieter. in fact, in some regards, more fans can be quieter then fewer because the fewer you have the faster they have to run to keep it cool, and typically, the bigger the fan, the quieter because they spin slower. :D

Edited by the_patriot09, 07 December 2009 - 02:21 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I have two empty fan slots, according to speedfan so I am going to start with those first. Hopefully, drilling into the case to find the right spot will be unnecessary.

#11 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:02 PM

FANS AND FANS. You just have to test. The last thing I tried was a 15.00 or 20.OO investment and it worked. Antec VGA cooler fan lowered my card 10 deg. C. I run cool on air but my next one will be air and water. It will take a lot of tinkering to get it to it's best.
P/S When you drill make sure you vacuum all the little piecies up from drilling.

#12 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

I talked to a Memory express and they told me to purchase a new case (ie. Antec 300 or Coolermaster 330) because the HP a1520n case basically sucks for preventing heat. What do you guys think? He said that the coolermaster would be around $55. I bet I could price match and bring the price down to 40$ easily.

Edited by rsd79, 07 December 2009 - 09:35 PM.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:34 PM

if it were me, I would try the fans first. if they dont work, and you buy a new case you can transfer the fans and not lose any money that way, but if you buy a new case and the fans woulda worked you lost money. HP is decent about cooling, and you said it has 2 extra slots which a lot of cases dont. Ive reused Hp cases in the past with no difficulties and ive worked on that particular computer before. the cooling isn't the absolute best, not as good as my case, but its not horrible either. If you dont want to dump a lot of money into it, I would try the fans first. if that doesn't work then purchase the case, and I wouldnt buy it from a local shop theyre always jacked up Id go somewhere like newegg.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#14 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

Yeah, I will try the fans first and I am definitely going to do an online price match with newegg or whatever price is lowest on google.

The store policy says that I can do online price match with any Canadian online store, as long as the item is in stock, in the time of the date of purchase.

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

sounds like a store with convenient service, though Im not sure newegg would count. lol. Coolermaster makes good cases, I use one myself though I paid 80 bucks for mine. I got a CM 690? I think that was it anyway it was a pretty high end case. just make sure if you do end up with a good case, a good mid size to full atx cases are generally the best way to go, more room to upgrade and better cooling then a micro atx. :D

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users