Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install SP3 or any windows securit updates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gazza211

Gazza211

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hi, I have a problem where i am unable to install any windows security updates or service pack 3, i am running XP with service pack 2, a few months ago i think my PC got the conficker virus, i was unable to update any anti virus or visit any anti virus sites as well as microsoft, at the time i was using AVG free, i had some help from a tech forum who helped me to restore my antivirus system and access to microsoft, i have since upgraded to Norton 2009 but still have this issue with being unable to install any windows security updates or service pack 3, i had a topic on 'Computer hope' and ran numerous malware scans including CCleaner, super anti spyware, malwarebytes anti malware, javara, systemlook, combofix, TFC, secunia, MGA diagnostics, dial a fix and hi-jack this, but unfortunately they have run out of ideas, please let me know if anyone can help :thumbsup:
Thanks Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:18 PM

Error messages?

Have you tried installing SP3 from your desktop?

http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details...;displaylang=en. Ignore the verbiage, just click the Download button.

Do you have a Genuine MS XP CD?

Louis

#3 Gazza211

Gazza211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

Hi tried the SP3 download from my desktop and get the same error message, 'service pack 3 set up cancelled' also see attached screenshot, any ideas??
Thanks Gary

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:39 PM

That graphic...looks like you are trying to download from Windows Update, which is not what I suggested.

If I am in error, it's because I can't read anything.

Do not save a graphic...in Microsoft Word format. Save it as a .jpg or .bmp, which are graphics formats and capable of being viewed more easily.

Louis

#5 Gazza211

Gazza211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:28 AM

OK, I followed your link and saved the .exe file to my desktop and ran it from there, the only error message i get is a titled box (Service pack 3 set-up error) with the wording 'Service pack 3 set-up cancelled' this happens during the installation phase. the copy of windows is genuine but the PC never had a genuine Disc and the ACER recovery disc has been lost, any ideas??

Edited by Gazza211, 07 December 2009 - 07:30 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

I don't know.

From what I see, when SP3 setup is cancelled...there is always a reference of some sort. You don't indicate receiving such.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi=

You might read over Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/ AND AumHa Forums Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Installation Guide - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#7 Gazza211

Gazza211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

Ok the machine is an Acer Aspire 3690, with XP home edition, SP2. i have tried every thing on the microsoft site before installing SP3 ie turn every thing off, disable anti virus, backup etc etc, there is no error code thrown up only the text message which is why i am really stumped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users