Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot into XP - How to backup OE from explorer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ibewsparky55

ibewsparky55

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

Hi,

About a week ago Windows XP on my C drive took a dump. I have been working with Elise025 to try and remedy the problem, but we had no luck. I've resolved myself to having to do a clean install of XP. I do have aanother drive in my system so I was able to change the HDD jumpers and cabling and that drive (D) boots into windows OK. From there I am able to access files and folders on my bad C drive. What I want to know is how I can backup and restore all of my outlook express information (emails, identities, wab, etc.) from the bad C drive to the good D drive and not lose any information, emails or the folder structures of my identities. I have 4 different identities I work with. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Monty Robison

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

If you know where the stores are...the default location for email stores using IE is in Docs & Settings folders...I would copy all files/folders that are under Docs & Settings. This will include My Docs, emails, favorites, address book, cookies, etc. Just copy the entire group and save it on a partition.

To do so...you will probably have to Take Ownership Of Files/Folders in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421 .

Louis

#3 ibewsparky55

ibewsparky55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:49 AM

Louis,

Thanks for your reply. I did as you advised and backed up the entire Documents and Settings folder. The thing I'm still not sure of is how to restore these on a fresh OS install and have everything display as it did on the old drive. Is it as simple as just copying the identities, wab, etc. into the proper folders under Documents and Settings? Would there be any registry entries that are associated and would need to be saved also? If so the problem I have at this point is accessing the registry since I don't have a functioning OS. Any other words of advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Monty

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

Since you have saved the entire Docs & Settings folders, you are good :thumbsup:.

The registry settings have nothing to do with transfering, moving, importing emails and the WAB.

The first thing I do is manually set up my email account again, following whatever procedures you must. Once the account is set up, I do the import of WAB and emails.

When you do the new install, new Docs & Settings folders/files will be generated.

What I usually/always do...is just move/copy the old files which I want (usually my favorites, cookies, and anything that may be in My Documents) into the new folders. If the filenames are duplicated, you will receive a warning that the files you are copying to the new folders...will replace any files with the same names that already are in the new set of folders. This is what you want, you want to replace the new with the old.

The WAB and email files must be handled differently. You cannot copy those successfully into folders because of the way that IE/OE is set up...but you can import them into the new OE setup.

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_move_my_outloo...ew_machine.html

With OE open...File/Import...select Address Book. Follow the prompt and point to your old WAB file.

For messages, same routine. File/Import...select Messages. Select OE6 as the program you are importing from, click Next. Put the marker in the Import Mail From OE6 Directory, click OK.

Browse to the location of your old message store in your old Docs & Settings folders.

All of your OE mail folders and messages are stored in one folder called the store root, or store root folder, or store folder, and in at least one place in OE, the Store root directory. It's default location is

C:\Windows\Application Data\Outlook Express\{GUID} or C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\(number)\Microsoft\Outlook Express. The OK button will not be available until you have selected the correct folder. When it becomes available, click OK.

Follow the prompts.

When done...you should have the new OE with the old WAB and old email files.

You may want to bookmark this website for more data on Outlook Express, http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm

Louis

#5 ibewsparky55

ibewsparky55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

Louis,

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out once I've done a clean install of Win XP and got things up and running. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Monty

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

If things go awry, we will try to help :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users