Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesn't detect hard drives. Trying to reformat.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:16 PM

I want to do a complete reformat. I have a Windows XP Setup CD, and I backed up all my desired files onto an external hard drive, but after starting the Windows XP Setup (Full Install, not Upgrade) in Safe Mode (regular doesn't work) and having it reboot and continue trying to install, I get a blue screen with a 0x00 type code. Is there any way to tell the computer to completely reformat the hard drive so that I can install Windows XP all over again, with none of the problems that I'm trying to get rid of? If I insert the Windows XP CD and select to boot from CD, it claims I have no hard drives installed and can't continue. http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc273/A...AA/100_5792.jpg The hard drives are in there, but after getting rid of malwares recently, my computer has gone through several stages of problems, and all I want to do now is reformat and start fresh and free. How do I get my computer to recognize the drives in its pre-OS state, so I can install Windows XP on it?

Edited by andrewset, 04 December 2009 - 04:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:00 PM

First what is the make and model of the PC? Also, just to be sure, does the hard drive show up in the BIOS?

#3 adhya

adhya

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

Go to BIOS and then hard disk then press ENTER. It will detect your H.D.D if not then open cabinet and unplug and then plug the IDE/SATA cable to the disk.Now goto BIOS and try again. I think you have to delete partitions and reinstall the partition.

#4 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

If your trouble isn't caused by BIOS, please refer to the following link:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/res...p-installation/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users