Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permissions, and Explorer crashes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:06 PM

I have been running the RC 7100 of Win7 Ultimate since it came out in June and subsequently installed Build 7600 when it came out in October.

I have 2 issues which are very annoying.

1. I am the only user and expect to have access to all aspects of my machine, but sometimes when moving or deleting several files, one will have "access denied - you do not have permission...". Very weird. Could someone write a tutorial on permissions please?

2. Practically every time, after a reboot, the first time I right click to open a folder or program Windows Explorer freezes and it is necessary to double click on a taskbar icon when I get the message that "Windows Explorer has stopped working - Windows will search for a solution". After choosing Restart Windows, everything is fine until the next reboot.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

Hi,

I think I can help :huh:

1. This normally happens when you're not the owner of the file/folder. So you need to take ownership of the file, read this: http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-o...n-windows-7.htm

2. As for your second point, I would imagine that it is probably due to some context menu entry. I.e. one of your installed programs which has a right click option is causing issues. I would try disabling the right click function of these programs one by one to see if this solves the issue.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:12 PM

Thanks Casey.

Followed through on your link and downloaded the reg link at the bottom of this page -

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/05/21/t...ght-click-menu/

I now have a context entry "Grant Admin Full Control", so it will be interesting to see if this works next time the problem arises.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 windows.user

windows.user

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:13 AM

I experience #1 sometimes when saving files for the first time to create the file OR when saving files from web browser OR just creating files for the first time.

Not sure why, the error is displayed but the files are actually created, I just select ok to go ahead and have it redownload the file or resave the file from whatever program I am in and the second time it works normally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users