Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help new to computers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmputr rtrd

cmputr rtrd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:10 PM

I want to install linux on my computer, im a little familiar with computers like i have my net plus certifcation. I want to install linux/unix so I can start working with different commands and such. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

Using a Live CD Edition of Linux Such as Ubuntu, PCLOS, Puppy, etc. will allow for a good linux experience without having to install the OS is a good place to start.

Posted Image

#3 Willm

Willm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:36 AM

Hi,

I have to agree with BlackSyder. I am wondering if you have a preference as to whether you want to install Linux or Unix. As they are two very different OS's. I am going to guess that you want Linux but if you could clarify that would be wonderful. I might also add Fedora This is a great OS, there is a little more involvement than Ubuntu. If you have any questions about Fedora feel free to ask me.

Cheers!

#4 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

There are lots of flavors of Linux, I use Mint (spinoff of Ubuntu?). Once you set it up (it will self install a dual boot when you install) you can toggle between systems. I have tried a few versions and this one seems a lot like Windows.
One issue I found out is Lexmark/Dell printers usually wont work on any Linux. The type of thing you wont find out till you have went into Linux a while.
If my printer were compatable, I could get by without Windows. (considering the type of user I am)
Oh, my external card reader for my camera card wont work, but I havent looked into that yet either(another issue to work on).

#5 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:34 AM

LiveCD is a good place to start. Remember that it will run slower than a full install b/c it has to be decompressed on the fly.

Dual boots are fine but you can bork an existing install if you're not careful

May I suggest a used Pll or Plll from thrift shop for under $50. You can run LiveCDs, dual boots and full installs with no fear.

Lexmark and Canon printers do not support Linux...return the favor and do not support them (yes, some models work, but it's the principle)
HP, Samsung, and Brother all support Linux....return the favor and support them. My Brother DCP7020 monochrome allinone laser works fine with Linux

Pay attention to Cameras and multimedia devices as you would MacOS. Cameras should have PTP mode and then they will be compatible.Try to use multimedia devices that are recognized as mass storage devices and you will have less problems.

Now, on to distros. most any distro will let you into the CL, however, for GUI I would recommend choosing either GNOME, KDE, Xfce or another desktop environment FIRST (b/c that's where you will spend most of your time if you are a GUI person) , then choose a distro that supports that by default. Most distros will allow a variety of DE, but each version is "tweaked" to take advantage of specific desktops.

Next, browse the forums and look for a distro that seems to have a seasoned userbase.

Then look for a distro that provides a reasonably consistent release schedule and a balance of cutting edge and stable apps. Some distros like to release cutting edge stuff and are not suitable for production use and will warn of that in their WIKIs.

I have distro recommendations if you wish

hope this helps

#6 Totty

Totty

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:58 PM

my advice would be slackware if you want to "learn" linux. Its not the easiest but once you get to grips with it you will understand how to work almost any linux distro ^_^. the problem I find with ubuntu is that it teaches you ubuntu, slackware will get you to learn how to use linux,

Or you could look into FreeBSD if you are into unix

I want to install linux/unix so I can start working with different commands and such

Not too sure what you are looking forward too ....
OS: 1. Slackware Linux........................... 2. Windows XP Home Edition
Mobo: Asus P5N-D.................................GFX : Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 512MB
CPU : Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.6GHz........... RAM : 2GB DDRII Coirsair Twinx
HDD1: Maxtor 80GB SATA II Hard drive.............HDD2: Western Digital 40GB IDE
Case: Antec Gamer 300 case.......................PSU : Corsair HX620 620W - Modular

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users