Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

web browsing mega sloooooow but rest of PC fine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 karldyble

karldyble

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

HI all,

sorry to dive straight in with a question but my Internet explorer and firefox are both so slow and twitchy I don't have time to read any other similar posts as I don't know how long my computer has left to live as it's only a matter of time before it's either consumed by whatever virus is affetcting it or I throw the damn thing out of the window.

We use windows XP and I.E.8.

Honesty first, we download / steal a hell of a lot of films, music, episodes of southpark, simpsons etc and have no virus protection...............I know we're asking for trouble but surely there's a kind christian soul out there who can forgive us and help us get back to full speed browsing?

I've downloaded combofix and malwarebytes which helped for a while and regularly found and removed many dodgy things, problem is that our internet explorer and firefox are so slow that I thought we needed some more serious help so I uninstalled them to avoid any conflicts and downloaded Spybot search and destroy. That found a load of stuff but was too weighty and intrusive and slowed things down even more so then went the way of the recycle bin too.

The main problems are the browsing speed has gone from pretty fast two days ago (which we were happy with) to mega slow, slower than dial up speed!!!
Firefox often says 'timed out' and internet Explorer says 'page cannot be displayed - click to diagnose connection problems' I click and of course it says that it can't diagnose anything??? I also downloaded I.E. spyad and that was just wierd as it didn't even tell you what to do or how to run the program........that got binned too. My thoughts are that that was some kind of malware???

I don't know who and what to believe on the sites that recommend free adware and malware removal tools as we bought one once and it was a scam and it screwed our PC up good and proper!! What is our first step to recovery? Remember, a computers life is at stake here :thumbsup:

Any help is good help and I look forward to your replies.

Karl.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:07 PM

You may have a extra large host file if you used Spybot S&D

Look for a file called HOSTS in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Open it in notepad and if there are a LOT of lines in there, you can delete all the contents in the file, but keep the file. Then you can use the MVPS HOSTS file, from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm. That may or may not help.

#3 karldyble

karldyble
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hi,

I had a look in that folder but there wasn't a lot of lines or lines of data. Looked pretty normal. Can you recommend any free virus scanner that won't screw my pc up??

Thanks.

Karl.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

Avira AntiVir probably the best free AV out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users