Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP SP3 Boot Disk

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 McClainJa

McClainJa

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:41 PM

Hello, I need help creating a Windows XP SP3 Boot Disk for a friend. How do I do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

There's no reason to create an XP boot disk...if one has an XP CD. The CD is bootable.

It would help...if you would indicate the nature of the perceived real problem...some think that a boot disk is the magical cure for anything going wrong with a system.

What is it that the user is trying to do...and why does he/she feel that he/she needs to do that...or that it will make all things right?

Louis

#3 McClainJa

McClainJa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

My friends laptop computer is running Windows XP. Her computer wont load past the XP loading page with the blue bar across the bottom. She has her disks for her computer but it doesn't allow you to fix or to boot from disk. All they do is restore the computer to factory. She can't lose all her information, so I was attempting to create a boot disk to boot windows up, retrieve her information to a DVD-RW, and then use the factory restore disk.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

Well...IMO, the easy way to attempt to retrieve data from a hard drive/partition when Windows won't boot...is simply to remove the drive from the troubled system and then connect it directly to the motherboard (if a compatible 3.5 inch drive) or to a USB port on a system that is well-protected and free of problems. For a laptop drive to be connected to a desktop system, the user should use one of the various USB devices designed for such.

Examples at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....410%20-%20%2425. Note that some enclosures only support SATA drives, some support only PATA, some support either/both.

Data files (not program files) can then be transferred to whatever.

Of course, you can always try a boot disk of some sort...but the likelihood of being able to boot Windows from there...is pretty small, IMO. A boot disk without any tools to attempt repair...is pretty useless, IMO.

There are various disks which fall into this category of repair disks...but, since it is unknown what prevents booting now...it seems that some knowledgeable person would have to do the experimenting.

Something to think about.

If you still want a boot disk, see http://www.bootdisk.com/.

Louis

#5 McClainJa

McClainJa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

I don't want to wipe the disk yet, I just want a disk to load what is needed for windows to start normally. It wont even come up in Safe Mode. Also, I know nothing about removing drives from a laptop, I am a desktop only kinda person. I may be wrong on what a boot disk is. I simply want something that will get windows to load, not repair it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:27 PM

I guess that I didn't make this clear enough.

The fact that Windows doesn't boot normally now...indicates that something needs repair or removal (in the event of malware). Without knowing what it is that needs repair, there is no such thing as "loading Windows" because that's the same as "booting Windows normally".

There is no known panacea for a computer...too many variables could be the cause of the sickness.

There are various things that can be attempted...but there is not guarantee of anything other than an attempt and the time passed.

Removing a hard drive from a laptop...is one of the few things which manufacturers make it easy for users to do. If you look up or read the owner's manual for the laptop, I'm pretty sure it will indicate just how to remove/replace the hard drive. If not, then one of the technical manuals for that system will reflect illustrations.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 December 2009 - 03:30 PM.

#7 McClainJa

McClainJa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

I see what your saying now. I found this in one of the other threads: Ubuntu Live. I think this will do what I'm trying to accomplish. It says I can boot this, and then retrieve the files I would like to keep, without having to boot windows. I don't have any super secure computer to hook her hard drive into, and have never really dealt with hardware other than installing a modem to my desktop computer.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

Well...I emphasize computer security no more than normal.

I wouldn't take a hard drive from another system...and attach it to anyone's system...unless I thought that system was capable of self-defense. If not, I remember that malware runs in all directions on a network or system. I would not take the chance of passing on or receiving malware, just as I don't daily.

I don't do linux, but other members/visitors here can guide/suggest regarding such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users