Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which edition of Windows 7 to upgrade to?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Activa

Activa

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:46 AM

When the hard drive suddenly died on my now 3 year old desktop, XP went along with it so I purchased Vista Ultimate, I hate it and want to use Windows 7 but am not sure which edition of Windows 7 upgrade I can use. I read on one website that I can only use Windows 7 Ultimate because I'm using Vista Ultimate , is that right? I don't want to do a full install just an upgrade and furthermore I don't want to fork out a lot of money to replace the rubbishy Vista OS, I don't need or will ever use some of the components of 7 Ultimate.

Any advice appreciated, oh and I have run the advisor and the pc (an Acer Aspire) is compatible

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_computersplus_*

Guest_computersplus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:48 PM

Use at least the Pro version nothing less

#3 Guest_computersplus_*

Guest_computersplus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

sorry just reread your post do yourself a favor don't use upgrade do a full clean install upgrades always have issues

#4 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

ive been using ultimate x64 since the rc was released and it works great i also think a clean install works better

#5 Guest_computersplus_*

Guest_computersplus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:49 PM

I wish Microsoft would stop making the upgrade discs I have seen the upgrade path lead to many disasters worse than trying to install a service pack over the years.

#6 WalkerA_WinTeam

WalkerA_WinTeam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:26 PM

Hi there-

If you want to perform an In-Place Upgrade from Vista Ultimate, you're gonna have to go with Windows 7 Ultimate. This chart shows the various upgrade paths.

You *could* upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional if you prefer - you'll still get all these improvements - but you'll have to perform a full, clean install.

Just curious - what don't you like about Vista Ultimate?

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users