Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Searches Freezing Up my screen

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

Hello everyone!

I have been having problems with doing internet searches. No matter where I do them from toolbar, website, or browser, it will freeze up on me and then I am unaable to get out of it, I am also unable to close the window, Tab, or change to a new website.

Here is what I have tried so far:

I have uninstalled a couple toolbars, disabled a toolbar or two, and limited one toolbar as to what it has on it. So far no improvements.

I did notice that the search section in the one toolbar has changed recently, The little magnifying class icon has changed position (is on the opposite side that it is normally on) and is pointing in the opposite direction that usual and is a different color than it was previously.

So far all my anti-malware, anti-spyware, anti-virus scans have shown nothing except: cookies. A few weeks ago my one program did pick something up, but it supposedly fixed it, and it has not shown up on any other scans.

I did run a program that shows registry errors, it showed 877. I do not know if these registry errors could have anything to do with the problem I am experiencing or not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hello everyone!

I did an online anti-malware/anti-virus/anti-spyware scan and nothing was found. I have slowly been disabling and uninstalling toolbars that I think might be causing this but so far nothing works to keep it from happening. I will keep trying things untill I find something that works.

If anyone has any Ideas I can use the help.

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:57 PM

Is this only happening when using a search engine? Or when visiting any website?

#4 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

Hello everyone!

I disabled or have uninstalled every Toolbar, except one and I also disabled almost all BHO's except a few that were security related and JAVA and for graphics.

I even tried using a different web-browser, the damn thing still froze up on me. I had even started a hard-disk defrag but I had to stop that and restart my computer because the search I tried from the web-page I was on, to see if what I did would have fixed it, made the web-page and the screen completely freeze up. The only thing I could get to move was the cursor. I could not click on anything to make it work, I could not close the page I was on nor could I go to another page from that one, neither could I move to the other windows that were open. I tried to click on the other window tabs to get to them but nothing happened!!

No matter what I have tried has not worked, I am getting very Pissed off!! :thumbsup: I have come here for some help, but no one seems to want to help me!!
Can someone please, HELP!!!

PS: I will admit, that I do sometimes poorly describe what my problem is, in the topic headline. I am sorry I am not a better writer like Shakespear!!

#5 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

Hello everyone!

I did not realize somone else was on here at the same time. It is happening from all websites, I believe. I will do a quick experiment and be right back.

Edit: It only happens when I do an Internet search from webpages that allow Internet searches. I have tried: Yahoo.com, MSN.com, AOL.com, Google, Yahoo search toolbar, Bing search tool bar, Google tool bar, McAfee Toolbar, etc... It continues to happen.

The funny thing is it just started the other day, THursday, I believe. Before that it was fine.

Edited by Groffeaston, 05 December 2009 - 10:10 PM.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

If it is all websites, I had an issue similar to this, and it turned out to be something related to a service called the "DNS Client Service".

You can disable this by going to Start -> Run -> type in "services.msc" without the quotes and click ok

Now find the service called "DNS Client" right click it and choose properties. Click stop and change the startup type to disabled.

Open your browser and see if this fixes it. If it doesn't try restarting your computer and then open your browser again.

Edited by xblindx, 05 December 2009 - 10:11 PM.

#7 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:25 PM

THank you!

I had to restart the computer after following those steps you provided. THanks a lot!

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:27 PM

Did it work? lol

#9 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:55 PM

Hello everyone!

Yes it worked, but only for a little while. Then it started freezing up again.

#10 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

Hmm, open task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) and sort the list by CPU usage in descending order. and then open your browser and get it to freeze, is svchost.exe at 99% cpu usage?

#11 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:15 PM

Hello everyone!

xblindx asked: "Hmm, open task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) and sort the list by CPU usage in descending order. and then open your browser and get it to freeze, is svchost.exe at 99% cpu usage?"

Well, when I did the search, it opened the page fine, but then the page froze up. It is not completely opening the page all the way up. I get a little blue circle that keeps rotating in the Tab for the window. I also get a little window that opens that signals when a page is loading and how far along it is loaded, well that only has a little tiny sliver of green showing and then stops when the screen freezes. The svchost.exe did not go very far. I will restart and try it again to double check the number %.

#12 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hello everyone!

I think I may have found the culprit. McAfee toolbar! I decided on a hunch to disable it. Man did the Numbers drop like a rock!! The I did an Internet search and it worked fine. I am going to moniter things for a couple days if thing works fine then I will slowly add the toolbars back except the McAfee one. I will also keep track of the CPU usage % numbers.

I think the McAfee toolbar was updated when My McAfee program was Updated automaticaly, and that update probably interfers with the internet search capabilities of IE8, Firefox, AOL, MSN, Vista and all of the others by using so much CPU %.

#13 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

Oh yes, are you talking about siteadvisor? Because my searches stall for a second or 2 while the ratings load, but those 2 seconds are worth it. My browser doesnt freeze up completely though.

Its great that you found the solution, this can help others who may be reading this :thumbsup:

#14 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:33 PM

Hello everyone!

Yes, xblindx I am talking about the "McAfee's SiteAdvisor" toolbar. It worked fine before with just a slight delay, but suddenly the other day after an update from McAfee, that is when the problems started. I did not figure out that the update from McAfee might have anything to do with it untill I had most of the other toolbars either uninstalled or disabled except for "McAfee's Siteadvisor". Then I did what you suggested and it worked for a little bit then started acting up again. Thats when I remembered about the update from McAfee the other day, right before this problem started.

This is not the only problem that has originated with McAfee's programs. From what I have seen on other sites, McAfee's programs interfer with a lot of other programs, but they put the blame on everyone elses programs. I even had them, McAfee, tell me to get rid of all the other programs I had installed on my computer because the other programs interfere with McAfee's programs. But when I went to the other programs' websites, I was told that what McAfee was doing was border-line illegal. That they were trying to get rid of the competition, and the only reason McAfee could get away with it was by saying "The other programs interfere with McAfee's Programs." The other software makers could NOT replicate any of the problems that McAfee supposedly said were happening between them. So who are we to believe? I got rid of the other programs for a little while. I still had the same problems. Makes me think McAfee might be the source of the Interference. I was right!

I hope this will also fix a few of the other minor clitches that are poping up every now and then.

#15 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

Since you are no longer using SiteAdvisor, you may want to install WOT (Web of Trust) which acts just like SiteAdvisor but the site ratings are made by users instead of McAfee, its also not a McAfee product xD

I too received the SA update a few days ago, thankfully I have seen no adverse reactions yet *crosses fingers* :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users