Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permissions Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OneFastCanuck

OneFastCanuck

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:33 AM

I've just recently upgraded my desktop PC from Vista 64bit to 7 64bit(Home Premium edition on both) and I've run into a problem on 7 now. The upgrade seemed to go just fine but something is very wrong. I found this, http://tinyurl.com/yksn62z, from a search on the subject. I first realized there was a problem when I was trying to download a torrent on uTorrent. I kept getting Error: Access Denied. Thats when I did the search to find the above article. Following that short guide has worked, but pretty much every single folder on the computer has the same issue, so it would take forever to go through doing each folder one by one. I managed to fix the uTorrent issue and I thought nothing more of the problem until yesterday. We just moved houses, and at the old house I was on a wired connection, I am now on a wireless N connection though. A guy from the store(Future Shop) where I bought the new router/receiver came to install everything but was unable to install the receiver on my computer. He recommended that I re-install 7 which should solve whatever problem there is. (Also what is possibly worth mentioning, on start-up I get this error message once I've logged in each time: Can't open AsIO.sys !! (2) I seem to recall from a search on that, that it is an error from the EPU 6 engine which I recall being told to just uninstall. I dont know what it is though so I havn't wanted to uninstall it so I've just been ignoring the error message) Back to my original question... What I noticed, was if I right click on Local Disk (C:)(which is my only HDD) and go to Properties, and then Secuirty, is the Authenticated Users group does not have anything ticked under Allow or Deny. Is that normal? When I go to tick off Modify(which in turn automatically ticks off everything except for Full Control and Special Permissions) and I click Apply I get an obvious warning message saying You are about to change the permission settings on the root directory of the startup disk, which can result in unexpected access problems and reduce security. Do you want to continue? I don't want to click Yes because I dont know if a) that will solve my problem, or if b ) having everything unticked is normal or not. I dont want to tick anything off if its not supposed to be ticked. If it is not normal to have everything unticked, and I tick the items, will that solve this massive problem? If not, what do you people recommend I do to make my computer work properly again?

Edited by OneFastCanuck, 04 December 2009 - 05:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:46 AM

Hi, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

I agree that the permissions issue can be a mystery in Win7. I find that I can delete or move half a dozen or so files and get one where access is denied - no rhyme or reason, and it is not a simple matter to fix. Hopefully someone will be able to run through the access procedures.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 OneFastCanuck

OneFastCanuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:55 PM

Thanks rowal.

If nobody has a full answer for me, could somebody please just let me know about the Security permissions on the HDD I asked about? "What I noticed, was if I right click on Local Disk (C:)(which is my only HDD) and go to Properties, and then Secuirty, is the Authenticated Users group does not have anything ticked under Allow or Deny. Is that normal? When I go to tick off Modify(which in turn automatically ticks off everything except for Full Control and Special Permissions) and I click Apply I get an obvious warning message saying You are about to change the permission settings on the root directory of the startup disk, which can result in unexpected access problems and reduce security. Do you want to continue? I don't want to click Yes because I dont know if a) that will solve my problem, or if b ) having everything unticked is normal or not."

Edited by OneFastCanuck, 06 December 2009 - 03:56 PM.

#4 OneFastCanuck

OneFastCanuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:36 PM

Well I seemed to have fixed the folders problem. Every single folder now gives me the long list of items under New: instead of just a shield and then Folder. I asked my friend and he told me to, under Control Panel - User Accounts and Family Safety - User Accounts - Change User Account Control settings, move the bar all the way down to Never Notify. It was at the second highest bar before, the default one. That seems to have fixed my folders problem, but my wireless adapter still wont install and I cant figure out why.
If anybody has some suggestions for anything I've mentioned I'd appreciate a comment.

Edited by OneFastCanuck, 06 December 2009 - 08:36 PM.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

Track down the exact model # and go to the manufacturer's site to see if there is a Win7 driver there.

I have a NetComm USB which will not run with Win7 so I have to use my Belkin or NetGear one for wireless.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 windows.user

windows.user

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:35 PM

"I kept getting Error: Access Denied"

---------

I was getting similar issue and finally tracked it down to my Antivirus / Firewall software. I use Esett Nod32 Firewall Suite software and the antivirus was set to real-time file system protection. What this does is scans every file at access, creation and deletion to make sure it is not trojan or virus or malware of some sort trying to take over the system.

Problem is that it LOCKS the file and prevents access for a short time which effectively blocks legitimate actions to take place such as saving files from internet, deleting files from control panel software uninstall feature, backup utility actions, creating or saving files or folders etc...

Only solution is to turn off the active file system protection or disable the on file access settings in your anti-virus software.
I used to use the free Comodo A/V and Firewall software but when it locks files to scan them it actually causes corruption in the file system and it is IMPOSSIBLE without very special 3rd party software OR reformat of hard drive and operating system install to fix the problem that is caused. I lost an entire computer system due to this problem and it took me almost 2 months of tracking the problem down to discover the cause.

If you run security software that has the file system protection feature enabled make sure you disable the software when you do backups or other high intense file system actvities like hard disk defragmentation etc... OR risk the chance that the security software will corrupt the file system and backups.

When you restore from these corrupted backups, you wont know until the system is restored, you will find many files and folders that can't be moved, copied or deleted. If you do end up being able to copy files or folders that are corrupt you wont be able to delete them from the new location. Files may not be able to be opened or certain actions done to them, you may find too.

Why did this happen? When the backup was being made for the files and folders the security system locked them in place exactly as the backup was being made which causes file corruption inside the backup itself. Like I said, this took me 2 months to track down and discover the cause. I ended up piecing together my files from multiple previous backups and then deleting all the backups and creating a brand new one after I had a working operating system and file system. Is the operating system corrupt or not 100%, I have no doubt but I couldn't afford to do a clean install and start over. Reason is I had work files and projects that if I couldn't restore to working condition I would of lost thousands of dollars and part of that was the software and settings inside those software.

I of course did backups but like i said, they were corrupted due to the security software so I pieced together from multiple backups, some had corrupted files but fortunately not all the same files were corrupt in all the backup archives so I was successful in getting my files and projects back with minimal loss in work, only a few hours of loss.

Anyway, the problem you are having maybe similar to this if so, turn off your anti virus and firewall software and see if that doesn't magically fix the permissions and file / folder access issue.

That was the fix for me anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users