Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP not booting up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:55 AM

Gave my old AMD Athlon 1.7 gig computer to a friend, he's had it for a little over a week and already it's not booting up and only coming up with the screen that you can try booting up by going to Safe Mode and the other options.

Even clicking on Safe Mode sends it right back to that screen.

Now, he lives 400 miles away and if there's a simple fix, please let me know if I can explain it to him (he's not computer literate).

Before giving it to him, reformatted the HD, partitioned it and has the data on the secondary partition. Also had him try opening it up and check all cables going to the MB. Have Zone-alarm, AVG, Windows Defender and Spyware Blaster on it and all were updated when I left 6 days ago and it was running fine.

Thanks for any assistance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:14 AM

Sounds like Windows is crashing and automatically rebooting (the default behavior.) In order to diagnose this, we'll need to stop it from restarting.

On the black screen that comes up, have your friend choose the "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure" option:
Posted Image

Then, the next time it fails, he'll get the infamous Blue Screen of Death. Have him write down the all the information that the BSOD shows (especially the part that looks like 0x000000(0x000000, 0x000000, 0x000000, 0x000000). This numeric code can tell us a lot about the specific problem that Windows is encountering and we can move forward with that info:
Posted Image

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 04 December 2009 - 03:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users