Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something very strange happens when browsing...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mgman

mgman

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition, SP3.

I've been using IE8 for a while, now. However, this began recently: When the next page loads (when going to any site), something very small appears in the task bar for half a second and disappears.

I managed to record the strange occurance and have taken a screenshot of it:

Posted Image

Can anyone tell me if this is malware or maybe I just need to disable a setting?

Edited by mgman, 03 December 2009 - 10:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

That looks like the 'Google' "G". Do you have the Google toolbar installed or do you have this? Internet Explorer 8 optimized for Google which states: "Preinstalled Google Toolbar". My guess whatever it is going on, Google has something to do with it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 mgman

mgman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

I was thinking it would involve google, but there isn't anything I did recently with google toolbar, nor did I optimize IE8 for google. I did nothing involving google software since at least 5 months. Something's definitely unusual...

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:31 PM

Have any Google products such as these? Google Products

If you do, you might try uninstalling them one by one to see if it goes away. Other than that I'm stumped. But maybe someone else has experienced this. I don't use IE so I'm unaware of this phenomenon.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 mgman

mgman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

Nope, it looks very much like I don't have any of those installed on my PC.

#6 mgman

mgman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

BUMP... someone?

#7 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

I suggest for you to post in the Am I Infected section of the forum so that you can rule out malware as a problem.
Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users