Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my computer keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tottenham

tottenham

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:52 PM

Hi, i just did a system reformat, and i've been noticing that my computer has been restarting while i play certain games, such as battlefield 2, and using programs such as windows media player. I am using all the latest drivers for my hardware, and am running on WIndows XP Professional edition. any help would be great, thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:59 PM

Dear Tot,

All you did was format the drive? Did you add anything or did you go on-line without a firewall?

Did you open the computer?

Were you able to play your games before you formatted?

What program did you use to format?

Give us some more information and we will be able to help you.

Thanks,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 tottenham

tottenham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:43 AM

Dear Tot,

All you did was format the drive? Did you add anything or did you go on-line without a firewall?

Did you open the computer?

Were you able to play your games before you formatted?

What program did you use to format?

Give us some more information and we will be able to help you.

Thanks,

all i did was completely reformat the hard drive, there were no files on it afterwards, i reinstalled all the programs that i had before the reformat, plus ZoneAlarm.

I didn't open the computer at all

Yes, i was able to play games without problem before the reformat

I didn't use a program to reformat, i just did a fresh windows XP install that required me to delete the old file system and create a new one, it formatted the HD after that

that's basically it, whenever it recovers from a system restart, on startup, windows shows a dialog box which reads "the system has recovered from a serious error", then everything works fine until it restarts again.

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:17 PM

Dear Tot,

These days to format a hard drive you have to get another program to do it.

The advertisers, computer companies, hackers, and any software maker wants you use any program that does not interfere with their ability to monitor you.

I use Wipe Drive made by Whitecanyon inc. Their claim is that they will erase anything and say the government uses them to clean their drives. I work for the US Government and never heard of them but the program does work.

If it doesn't I will send a couple of agencies after them. Your call but I have had no problems after erasing my drives.

Turn off your Internet and reinstall. Don't connect until you are sure of your system.

Let us know,

Your Hardware Guide.

#5 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:38 PM

Why would you use a third part drive to format your harddrive??????? The built in one functions perfectly and still makes data unrecoverable.

#6 jackdw

jackdw

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:50 PM

i had a problem simalar to that. after a motherboard, cpu and ram upgrade.

#7 cowee

cowee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:10 PM

Reformatting and reinstalling windows does not in fact make you data unrecoverable. While some, if not most, of the data will be unrecoverable you can use a program such as Handy Recovery to read data off of lost partitons, even if they have been completely reformatted (Though I do agree that there is really no need for a 3rd party program to format unless you are really parinoid about your data).

While that is most likely not the problem in this case I thought I would just point that out.

This particular problem could be several things. The first thing that comes to mind when someone says that there computer is turning itself off is the power supply. But ultimately it depeds on how the computer is turning itself off. If it just shuts down right away with no warning, then its most likely a hardware problem. If it goes through the whle process of shutting itself down then its most likely a software issue either with windows or one or more of the programs you have installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users