Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI Card or USB Adapter for Wi Fi Signal!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

I have a desktop PC that I need to get a wireless signal to via either a USB or PCI Card. In most cases what option is going to give me better range, speed and performance. I know that USB adapter's tend to get a little hot. You would think that a PCI Card attached to the motherboard would give me better wireless, but I'm not so sure. If I purchase a N Compatible PCI Card or USB Adapter and I want to connect to a G network is it always going to let me onto the G wireless network. What are some good recommendations on PCI Cards and USB Adapter's either N or G. I went ahead and bought the EDIMAX EW-7128G PCI Wireless Card - Retail as the reviews were very good. Thanks for any tips on this topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:06 AM

Hi,

To be honest, get a PCI one with an aerial as the USB one's will more likely be proned to damage eg the Box falls off the table and damge the USB Stick, It will get better range from a PCI card than the normal USB card.

Go and put a PCI card in, its the best option yet.

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

Another consideration is what is the range you need?

USB is usually more omnidirectional in b&g pickups but can be used at the end of a usb cable if the position needs to be near a window or oriented towards a particular transmitter.

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Low-Cost-WiFi-Antenna

The specs look good on the pci card and you can always enhance the signal by adding a parabolic reflector.
http://binarywolf.com/249/diy-parabolic-reflector.htm

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 04 December 2009 - 12:43 PM.

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the good ideas. Is having an adapter, USB, PCI etc with the same brand (linksys, Belkin) as the router important to the signal strength and speed. How can you truly maximize N wireless capabilities. If your router is a G router then is it pointless to have an N wireless Card or adapter. I matched a D Link N Router (615) with both a Belkin and Linksys (dual Band) Laptop Adapter and was very dissapointed in the result. With my G Linksys Router and the built in Dell wireless card the signal was exactly the same. What are your thoughts on the Linksys Dual Band N Router? Would a Linksys Wireless Card or USB adapter be the best compliment to that Router.

http://www.shoplinksys.com/viewproduct.htm...=BuyNow_WRT610N

Just trying to gain some knowledge when it comes to Router's, wireless card and Adapters. Thanks

#5 Guest_computersplus_*

Guest_computersplus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:42 AM

I have found that the routers without external antennas don't perform as well as units that do have external antennas if you have to have wireless N I would recommend

http://www.shoplinksys.com/Wireless-N-Broa...0VVviewprod.htm

But my fav is the WRT54G series

http://www.shoplinksys.com/Wireless-G-Broa...0VVviewprod.htm

Both routers I linked to can run custom firmware to give them extra power and functions plus have external antennas which can be replaced with high gain antennas same holds true for PCI vs USB adapters get the PCI type so you have the option to replace the antennas with larger high gain omni- directional type or a directional cantenna style should you need extra performance honestly I would not pay the extra cost of buying the N device there has been nothing I could not get done with the proper G setup

#6 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the good info! How would you compare the Linksys Dual Band N Router 610 vs Wireless-N Broadband Linux Open Source Router - Storage Link WRT160NL. What advantage does the Dual Band have regarding frequencies, speed, range.

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:03 AM

I still have all wireless g routers. Brand matching has not been a problem between adapters and routers. I have three routers in a WDS bridge (to feed external buildings) that all are the same brand and model and those are the only ones still running their original firmware. The others and the border router run DDWRT. All the routers are capable of running DDWRT but the buffalo has a high speed WDS mode that seems to work fine so I kept it. My house is plaster and lathe construction which makes it a veritable Faraday cage so I use a series of wireless routers to extend my inside networks to cover the whole house. My servers and outside networks are on their own wired router/firewall made from an old Dell p3.

The wireless routers are all configured as extenders (Fed throught a lan port rather than the Wan port) so they point back to the border router for DHCP and DNS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users