Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

free Tetris trojan?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DottieR

DottieR

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:41 PM

I downloaded a free Tetris game (stupid I know) and played it for several days. Then Avast suddenly it contained a Trojan and put it in the virus chest. I ran both Avast and MBAM and found nothing. I remembered you guys always use Kapersky so I downloaded that and ran it, found nothing. But it wouldn't run until I uninstalled Avast, which I did. I uninstalled Kapersky then as it really bogged down my computer and reinstalled Avast which finds nothing this time, but Tetris is back in my program files. Am I infected? Should I uninstall it or what? I haven't opened it again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

First and foremost, I'm not a staff member, but I might be able to help if you remember exactly when Avast! reported it to be a virus and the exact name of the virus.

Last night, on the evening of December 2 (my time, on the east coast of the US) Avast! had a serious problem with false positives. There's a summary here on Bleeping computer -- .

If this wasn't your timeframe, or if your Trojan was not one of the two that were named, then you may have a problem.

Do you have the details to confirm it, or do you need help going through the logs?

-- an Avast! user.

#3 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

I wasn't online during those early morning hours. I don't remember the names of the viruses. Since I uninstalled and reinstalled Avast I don't have it in the virus chest anymore. Is there another place it would be recorded?

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:49 PM

You wouldn't have had to be online at the time. The virus database is updated automatically (unless you configured it otherwise), so if you had the faulty database it could have triggered an alert at any point, most likely if you ran an Avast! scan, or if you attempted to run the Tetris program.

I can tell you that during normal operation when Avast! moves a file to the "chest" it removes the file from the old location (so you still only have one file), but when it restores a file from the chest it copies the file back to the original location (so you have two copies of the file). You might still check the "chest" to see if the old files were deleted when you uninstalled Avast!

Beyond this I'm not really qualified. You'll need to wait for someone more knowledgeable. You might also ask this question at the Avast! forums -- they're a bit busy dealing with the fallout, but they would be the experts. The Avast! 4.x Home/Pro forum is <HERE>.

Edited by Capn Easy, 03 December 2009 - 10:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users