Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost access to my cd/dvd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sgt19

sgt19

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

I lost all access to my cd/dvd on my Averatec 3200. I had some sort of a hijack recently, I believe it was a false ad called safe security or something like that kept popping up and advising trojans were stealing my credit card numbers. I wanted to format my hard drive and re-install as a last resort as I was freaking out after about 6 hours...

I swear this is true: I left my computer on after sweeping it with Iobit 360, (which I had already done 5 times looking for an answer), gave up and went to my local pub and got smashed. Came home without checking the computer, cooked a big dinner ate and slept for awhile. Came back to the computer after about 8 hours total. I noticed my computer had rebooted to the sign on screen. I signed in with no problems....no popups or anything, computer running smooth as silk. It's still running smooth, but no D: drive cd/dvd.

I've tried letting the system search for new hardware, it found audio and other codecs to install and DID install them. No D: drive still

I ran some microsoft Mr Fix it for you program and guess what? It told me there is no D: Drive.

I believe I've had this happen before and it may ahve been related to updating Windows Media 8. Somehow after rebooting a few times it came back. Not this time....

Any ideas on what to do, Please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

Does the CD drive show in the line up as the computer boots up?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 sgt19

sgt19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

I dont know how to check that OldPhil

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:10 AM

You can try...

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. This should get you into Device Manager.

Do you see any yellow or red markings by anything? If so, these are indicative of a perceived problem with hardware installation.

You can also go into Disk Management and see if your drive is listed there, probably the last item reflected in the lower screen. Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

If the drive is reflected in Disk Management, then you should try the following registry edit: Upper & Lower Filters - http://delltrain.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/...d-lower-filter/

As with all registry edits...it is important that you backup the registry first. If something goes wrong while a user is working in the registry, the system might be made dysfunctional...backing up the registry before proceeding with any registry edit...protects against such.

A suggested tool for easy registry backup: ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html. Once the backup is made, follow the instuctions for deleting the upper/lower filters as provided in the Delltrain link.

Louis

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,166 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:21 AM

I dont know how to check that OldPhil

Just watch the writing on the black screens during boot up! Listen to Louis he thinks faster then I do!

#6 sgt19

sgt19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:35 PM

OK Gents...Sarge here...I took your advice and ran the disk management and cofirmed that device is indeed there.

I then printed out your instructions along with the instructions for ERUNT and the Optical Drive Troubleshooting just in case.

I successfully downloaded ERUNT.

I backed up my registry successfully as well.

I am now going into regedit to delete the upper and lower filters entries.........wish me luck..

#7 sgt19

sgt19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:36 AM

Followed the directions for optical drive troubleshooting explicitly.

there were no upperfilters to delete so just deleted loerfilters, closed out of regedit and rebooted.

does list a removeable drive now but when I try to access d: drive is states no media in drive @

doesnt recognize cd or dvd...

any suggestions?

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,166 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:28 AM

Not sure if you tried this but may may work may not but worth a shot, delete the drive in device manager shut down open the case and disconnect the data cable from the CD. Boot up and let it fully load then shut down again and plug the cable back, cross your fingers that the system may find it.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users