Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deciding between 2 laptops

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 campbellsoup

campbellsoup

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

My budget for the new computer is: $800-$1200

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

All of the above. I don't own a desktop, but I need portability. I usually only do fairly light gaming these days, but I'd want to be able to run current games at low resolution.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Windows 7, MS Office, Firefox, photoshop, games, windows media player, itunes, etc.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
Yes, occasionally, but I want to be able to play new games on low settings.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Usually 5-6 at a time.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

I don't need a huge hard drive.

I've sort of narrowed down my search to these two computers:

A 13.3" HP:
Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor and Graphics Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor SP9300 (2.26GHz, 6M Cache) with 512MB NVIDIA GeForce G 105M
Memory 50% OFF! 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Display 13.3" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
Personalization Webcam Only
Networking Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
Keyboard HP Color Matching Keyboard
Primary battery 6 Cell Polymer Battery
~$1200

Or a 14" Lenovo
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor P8700 ( 2.53GHz 1066MHz 3MB )
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M 1024MB
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
14.0 " HD Wide LED 1366x768
Industry Standard Touchpad
320GB 5400
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 5100
Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR
~$850

Obviously, the Lenovo is around $300 cheaper, and it has the 1GB GPU. The HP is more expensive, but it has the better processor, 8GB RAM, and a 7200 rpm HDD. It's also a bit smaller, which is a plus, but I realize that is sort of a personal choice. Basically I'm wondering about the processor/GPU/memory combinations; would you expect better performance from the SP9300/512MB GPU/8 GB RAM/7200 rpm HDD or the P8700/1GB GPU/4 GB RAM/5400 rpm? Which would you buy if price is not a factor, and which would you buy if price is a factor? Other model suggestions are welcome too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_computersplus_*

Guest_computersplus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

in my opinion for gaming get the one with the best CPU/GPU combo the ram and hard drive can easily be upgraded later where the CPU/GPU can't if you want really good performance you could add a SSD hard drive.

the 7200 RPM will make a more noticeable difference over the 5400 for the overall speed of the computer honestly the CPU/GPU will only lend to better gaming if you were not going to game I would say don't worry about the CPU/GPU spec as much for average computer use

#3 askpcguy

askpcguy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:30 AM

I'd also recommend looking at the requirements of the games you wish to play and ensure the laptop(s) you have in mind are indeed capable of running them.

#4 campbellsoup

campbellsoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

So you think the HP is a better buy, then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users