Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP stuck in reboot loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ryoby18

ryoby18

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

XP stuck in reboot loop
HI all

I could use expert advice please. I am trying to fix my Desktop. It is a
Hp running Windows XP Pro. Service pack 2. It is stuck in a reboot loop -msg=
We are sorry for the inconvenience...this may be due to a software or hardware problem-
the options given are:
safe mode
normal boot
last known good config
etc... when trying to boot goes right back to that screen everytime thanks in advance ryoby18

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 julie35

julie35

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:15 PM

Can you boot in safe mode or last known good config?..... I can't and I've got the same prob.

#3 hozerdude

hozerdude

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:33 AM

Sometimes a new hardware addition (and/or driver addition/mod) causes this...undo that mod to see (if applicable).
Alternately, a low level boot sector issue (on the hard drive) causes it.
If no alternate method permits access to the OS, and the files MUST be accessed to recover data, pic's, music, etc.,
GRC's "SpinRite" can sometimes rectify the disk errors & permit file recovery.
About $90US; money back guarantee & well worth the money.
Google for reviews, testimonials.
http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
or
http://www.grc.com/sr/testimonials.htm

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

Can you boot to cd?
This tutorial will show you step by step how to backup your files. Using a Ubuntu live cd that will not install on your drive but will run entirely in ram.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/

You should do this or some other method of backing up your data before trying anything, including spinrite that writes to the drive or attempts to fix it. If you have a hidden recovery partition, some tools can damage it because the hex id used to hide it looks like something that needs to be "fixed".

I met Steve long ago and have great respect for his products, but they are powerful rather than idiot proof.

Linux is not idiot proof either so follow the instructions. The link on the page goes to the current live cd download which is a bit better at finding and automatically mounting your windows drive and flash/external drives than the version the tutorial was written for. It will also automatically find and enable most wired or wireless networks and includes firefox fully operational on load.

I use this cd everyday to diagnose and recover files from dead or damaged computers.

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

Couldn't agree more, Ken - Linux Live CDs (Ubuntu, Mint etc.) can be lifesavers.

You can then work on fixing the drive at your leisure, or just reinstall, unless the
drive has had it.

Tried Spinrite 15 months ago, on a failed disk; after running it for 3 days, I gave up
and had my money back - the guarantee is 100%. You're right, it can sometimes
do more harm to run these programs, but on the other hand, you cannot ignore
the testimonials of the lucky few.

(Got the data off the failed disk, by putting it into an external cage - didn't need
recovery software, I was also ignorant of Linux at that point).

As you have mentioned Steve Gibson, his site has some excellent free programs
and it is useful for checking your computer's security (Shields Up!, etc.)

Would you consider 'system restore in safe mode from the command prompt'
an option on this occasion? (F8 on reboot)

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...emrestorecp.htm

Pete

Edited by petewills , 04 December 2009 - 11:23 AM.

#6 Ozarkian

Ozarkian

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

I had this exact problem Ryoby after gettina a virus attack. The way I fixed mine was to use my original xp disc and go into recovery console. I did a boot.ini /rebuild.

Her's a link that tells you what to do. It's simple.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...pairbootini.htm

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

Repeated "last known good" has worked mysteriously in the past and I might try that and system restore from the command prompt, but neither one is dangerous to data.

Try and get the backup first. If that fails you know you have problems that are going to need harsh measures and a reload to fix.

ryoby18: Do you have data your going to miss if you cannot get this computer booted? Most of us do. If you need help locating files, databases and mail, we can help you with the locations.

edited for spelling :thumbsup:

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 04 December 2009 - 12:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users