Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL to Cable

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 qball

qball

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 10:11 PM

Hey everyone,

Ok, I have a couple of general questions about my internet connections. I'm sure you'll need more infor, but I don't know where to start

1. I have a linksys router in my basement hooked up to my desktop, and DSL connection. I have my notebook upstairs which has wireless lan capability and windows XP. For the 1st few days, my wireless connection was avaiable and working, and then it stopped. I got frustrated and just ran the DSL line thorugh the walls upstairs and its been fine with a direct connection. I really want to enable the wireless connection again though. I used to have a linksys network adapter on a desktop upstairs at one point and it worked for over a year with great connection. Within time that stopped working as well, and even with encryption I could not understand how to get it working. My computers are clean, safe, and firewalled. Can anyone help?

2. Also along with this, I take my notebook to various locations with cable internet. When I plug in, the connection is there, but I can't seem to do anything. Thanks for any advice that anyone may have to help get me connected.=)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 25 September 2004 - 11:09 PM

Sorry this question got missed.

On the first question:
Was the computer with the wireless getting an ipaddress ? Were you not able to browse at all?

Second question:

If you are connecting directly to the cable mode:

Some cable companies assign an ip address based on the mac address of a computers network card. When a different computer is hooked up to the cable modem, it sees a different mac address and does not give you an ip address. One way around this may be to reset the cable modem.

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:44 AM

If you turn everything off, including the router, and have everything connected when you turn them back on, then it will see the connections automatically. You may even have to turn the desktop off also. You should only have to do this one time. When you want to change out the laptop connection from wireless to wired, then you may have to turn it off again. Once you have the laptop off twice (once for a wireless connection and another for the wired one), then you should not have to turn it off anymore for the internet connections.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 Tyler

Tyler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:11 PM

Just a thought...
You said you're running a linksys router?
A thing to try would be going to the run command in the start menu, typing "command" in the window there, when it brings up the DOS prompt window type "ipconfig" without the quotation marks of course, then it should bring up a list of your IP configurations, what you're looking for is the IP address, having a linksys you should see the numbers 192.168.1.100-199 anywhere between .100 and 199 is the variable address that has been leased to your computer, if you don't see that you'll want to go log into your router and check the configurations there...

If you've done this or know this, I apologize just trying to help...
If you didn't know this, I hope it helps... :thumbsup:

#5 qball

qball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:46 AM

OK I did try to reset the cable modem, I had the desktop turned off, and I had everything plugged in when I turned it back on. It is recognizing the connection immediatley and under "network connections" appears to all be connected like when I am hooked up to my DSL at home. I am wondering could I possibly need a comcast supported driver? or something to enable to connection to deliver? Or maybe some type of setting that I should change when I switch over?

Thanks guys!

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2004 - 04:38 PM

Are we referring to problem 1 or 2 now?

#7 qball

qball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:34 PM

Sorry about that. Probelm 2.Getting that to work is more important to me then messing with the wireless stuff right now. Thanks

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:56 PM

Is the cable modem plugged directly into your computer when you try this or are you plugging in your computer into a network?

#9 qball

qball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:46 PM

no network, I am connecting straight to my notebook

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:55 PM

Connecting via usb or ethernet?

#11 qball

qball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:23 PM

ethernet

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:32 PM

Hmm..shouldnt be a driver issue. As long as the cable modem is using dhcp and your card is set to obtain an ip address automatically it should work

#13 qball

qball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:01 AM

Yeah I agree, when I plug the ethernet from my home in (DSL) I never had to set up anything it just worked instantly, I guess thats kind of what I expected out of the cable modem. When hooking into the cable modem, it finds the connection just as fast as dsl, and under "network connections" appears to be connected the same way. Of course, the interent wont see to work.

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:08 AM

When you plug the laptop in the cable modem try these tests next time:

reset the cable modem once your connected.
then click on start, then run, and type cmd (type command if using 98/95/me) and press enter.

At the command prompt type:

ping www.google.com

and press enter.

Then type:

ping 216.239.41.104

and press enter.

Let me know what happens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users