Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista User Permissions issue..?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gamemaster406

gamemaster406

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

I caught my friend using the Guest account on my Vista PC, he deleted most of my programs, and was about half way through deleting my system32 folder!!! Why didn't UAC ask for my admin password and not allow it?! Glad I stopped the system32 deletion, and restored my programs, but why didn't UAC stop him...?

I did a test after, I went into the Guest account, and started to erase the system32 folder, it didn't ask for my Administrator password or anything. I did the same test for a Standard User as well, same result. Also, my program files can be deleted as well without any ask for a password.

I have UAC enabled, I thought that was the purpose of it...

For now I'm disabling the Guest account because I guess I can't even trust my friends with my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

Are you the administrator and are you using the hidden admin account ? if not do so now and reset everything from there, enabling hidden admin account this is the eay way for you to learn how to do it http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/ ! :huh:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 gamemaster406

gamemaster406
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

I am in fact using the Hidden Admin account that came with my computer. However the manufacturer, Cyberpower, made it not hidden by default so I could get to it easily. And I do have a password set to it. What I want however is the UAC to block access to important files for other accounts including the Guest account like it should be doing...

-Mike

#4 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:14 AM

Just got this from another site have a read it may help you out !

Yes, there is an Administrator account so named within Vista that is hidden. To enable it - bring up an Elevated command prompt -
START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe above | run as admin

In the black "DOS" box type the following:

net user administrator /active:yes

(change yes to no to deactivate it)

Now logoff your account and a user named Administrator will be waiting for you. Be very careful with this account as it is hedden for a reason - disaster recovery. Just click on the icon at the logon screen - remember the password if you set one for this account as your other user account(s) will need it as the UAC will ask for it instead of allowing you to just Continue.

This admin account is UAC-free, but you surf the net with IE7 Protected Mode = off. I don't know if this hidden and inactive account is causing your problems with Windows Server 2003 or not and there is no practical way for Server 2003 to handle Vista's UAC. UAC is not un-installable as it retains the lone 2nd admin token that allows a level of elevatilon to itself by other users. I would think you would have to change Group Policy settings within Vista - but the ability to change GP is not available on Vista Home Basic or Home Premium editions. Good Luck to you.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#5 gamemaster406

gamemaster406
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

I am already using the Hidden admin account. I tried with it disabled and enabled, but Standard users are still able to access folders they shouldn't. I'm going to look for a tool that can allow me to block folders.

Thanks,
Mike

#6 inenigma

inenigma

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:03 PM

I am already using the Hidden admin account. I tried with it disabled and enabled, but Standard users are still able to access folders they shouldn't. I'm going to look for a tool that can allow me to block folders.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey, Have you found anything as yet ???

Cheers,
david

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users