Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No boot manager option in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zimmer46

zimmer46

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hello all,

I have just installed Win 7 and cannot see how I set up a dual boot option.

Here is the setup :-

Original setup was XP on a HDD with 2 partitions.
I installed a second HDD and made a clean install of Win 7 onto this drive. I can access the XP HDD from Win 7, so that seems to be working OK, but I was expecting to get an option when Win 7 started asking which OS I wanted to boot. Nothing - it goes straight into Win 7.

I can boot the other OS by F11 into the bios at startup and then selecting the XP HDD as my boot disk, but thats not ideal.
Have I missed something during the install procedure ?

Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:41 PM

A true dual-boot system has 2 OS`s on the same hard drive.

The way you have it set-up, to seperate hard drives, F11 on start-up is your only option to switch between them.

Plenty of links to info on how to HERE.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

to be honest, i have installed windows 7 myself and its safe to say i will be going back to windowd vista, win7

That is the first time I have heard that, especially since Windows 7 is only a point upgrade over the Vista kernel. In other Words, Windows 7 is just Vista with some major improvements. If you don't mind, would you clarify your issues with Windows 7, since "it stinks" pretty much tells us nothing?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:41 AM

When installing Windows 7, did you boot from the Windows 7 DVD to start the setup?
Or did you boot your computer into Windows XP and inserted Windows 7 DVD to start the Windows 7 setup?

#5 zimmer46

zimmer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

I was trying to keep my XP OS on its own disk as I have a lot of legacy software etc that I want to keep. Some of it won't work in Windows 7. Rather than move everything I thought I could just have the two operating systems each on their own HDD.

I have tried installing Windows 7 in two ways. First was booting from the CD and a clean install i=onto the new HDD. When that didn't give me a dual boot option, I wiped the new HDD. Split it into two partitions in XP, and then ran another clean install from the Windows 7 cd. Still no dual boot option available. Making do with the F11 option, but would like to have a tidier solution. What about proprietry boot managers ?

Andrew

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:27 PM

To dual boot you always run the setup of newer Windows from within the older Windows. In your case, you had XP installed you had to run the setup from within XP. During this, the setup copies files to a temporary folder on hard disk and writes to the boot sector of hard disk making the system dual boot.

You can add XP entry to Windows 7 boot menu using EasyBCD.
1. Download and install EasyBCD in Windows 7 from http://neosmart.net/downloads/software/Eas...BCD%201.7.2.exe
2. In EasyBCD, click on Add/Remove Entries.
3. In section add an entry, select Windows tab.
4. From Type listbox select Windows NT/2k/XP/2K3. In Name type Windows XP. In Drive select partition on which XP is installed.
5. Click on Add Entry button.
6. Restart your computer.

Tell us what happens.

#7 zimmer46

zimmer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Downloaded and installed EasyBCD, but when I run it I get and error :-

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application"

Tried reinstalling, but same result.
Looked at the EasyBCD website which says its for Vista. Any reason it wouldn't work in Windows 7 ?

Andrew

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

I personally use it on Windows 7 + Vista dual boot system. It runs fine on Windows 7. Version 1.7.2 is officially for Vista only but if you don't reinstall/uninstall the bootloader it works for Windows 7 too. I guess the error may be because you have 64 bit version of Windows 7 perhaps?

You can use Microsoft's command line BCDEDIT tool to add an entry to XP.

Warning : Make a backup of Boot Configuration Data (BCD) first. Improper use of this command line tool may render your computer un-bootable.

To make a backup of BCD :
1. Type cmd in Start Menu search box. Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run as administrator
2. In command prompt type, bcdedit /export c:\backup. This would save your BCD to c:\backup.
If later you want to restore BCD, type bcdedit /import c:\backup after booting from Windows 7 DVD.

To add Windows XP to BCD type these commands :
bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"
bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=D:
bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast
Replace partition D: with the one you have Windows XP installed on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users